How to setup 360-degree LiDAR not listed in documentation

Hello, I have ArduRover4.2.3 and 360-degree LiDAR “LD19”(https://www.elecrow.com/download/product/SLD06360F/LD19_Development%20Manual_V2.3.pdf)

How I need set it in the full parameter list If I want to use this LiDAR ?

The 360-degree LiDARs listed in the document are only somewhat older models.
Therefore, none of the newer LD19s are applicable.

I have tried several “RPX_TYPE” parameters, but none of them are recognized by Pixhawk CUBE, probably because the data format is different.

Looking at the programming manual, the signal looks similar to other types of rotating lidars but you will need to write a new driver for it.

Alternatively you can use an Arduino to read lidar signal and convert to MavLink Obstacle_Distance message.
https://mavlink.io/en/messages/common.html#OBSTACLE_DISTANCE

1 Like

Thank you for your advice!
I still don’t think I can easily use LD19 as it is now…

Converting to MavLink seems to be the easiest and quickest way to use it, I will give it a try.

I also hope that ArduPilot will support new drivers in the future.

Welcome,

What we are looking to implement as a standard model, is the DroneCan Proximity sensor.
This way, you can interface using Can Bus that may offer a better traffic handling while not overloading the MavLink Traffic that is very critical for command and control to and from GCS.

The PR has just been pushed for that but it still requires you write the driver within a UavCan Node like the Matek L431

1 Like

Just a quick note, looking at their github, you have most of the code already written for the driver, making it much easier to implement. Depending of processing power you have onboard, you could use the ROS node Topic to feed the mavlink signal :wink:

1 Like

I see, there is a way to install ROS2 on Raspberry Pi and send data to Pixhawk with Mavros.

I don’t know much about CAM, but does this mean that in the future we will be able to use LiDAR LD19 easily with ArduPilot using CAN instead of UART?

Sorry for asking such an elementary question.

Did you have sucess? I am trying something similar.