How to prevent arming with too few satellites

In bench testing I’ve noted that I can arm and commence flight in Stabilise mode even though my GPS doesn’t have a solid fix. I’d like to be able to prevent that, so is there a parameter that will do the job? AHRS_GPS_MINSATS is set to 6, but this doesn’t prevent arming and spool-up when flying in stabilise mode.

Yes, activate and configure the fence. That will prevent arming until GNSS has a solid fix.

Thanks amilcarlucas, I think I’ve got it: If I set a fence (any fence) my copter won’t arm until it gets good GPS?

So for my situation where I don’t necessarily want to restrict my flying area, I can simply set a height fence higher than my normal flying height and higher than my RTL height parameter.

yes, that is how it works.

I’ve just finished setting up a fence on my TRex 500 heli. What’s not clear to me is, if my heli crosses the fence while in Stabilise mode, and triggers RTL (or land), can I take control again once the heli is back within the fence, before it gets back to the launch point?

The wiki says, “If you really want to override the fence, you should be ready to switch the flight mode twice …”. Does that mean that if I switch to POS HLD and back to STAB a couple of times it will cancel the RTL fence action and give me manual control?

Yes, that is what it means.

But you should test it anyways

After it’s in RTL I think it behaves like any other RTL circumstance whether Fence is active or not. Switch out to another mode, any mode, and fly it.

Thank you amilcarlucas for the confirmation.

Dave, I understand I can switch in and out of RTL mode manually, but I was concerned that it might behave differently if RLT has been triggered by Arducopter while my Tx switch is in a different mode, such as Stabilise. As suggested above, I’ll try it next time I’m at the flying field.

Doesn’t matter. It’s change in mode that is detected and then switched to the new mode selected.