How to methodically tune (almost) any multicopter using ArduCopter 4.4.x

You dont edit one normally - but it does tell us details of how the firmware is built for particular hardware.

You could use the BDSHOT firmware if you have BLHELI capable ESCs, and use the RPM data to drive the harmonic notch filter.

But the point was if you were using BDSHOT firmware the RCin pin could be shifted to another location, or in the case of BRD_ALT_CONFIG = 1 certain half-duplex protocols are enabled on the RCin pin, so you probably dont need that - set it to 0 and your receiver should work.

Status report:
Firmware = KakuteH7
BRD_ALT_CONFIG = 1
PreArm: RC not found

Firmware = KakuteH7
BRD_ALT_CONFIG = 0

Firmware = KakuteH7-bdshot
BRD_ALT_CONFIG = 1

Firmware = KakuteH7-bdshot
BRD_ALT_CONFIG = 0

ESC: I’m using the tekko32 f4 65a that came with the FC. The product description page says it comes with BLHeli_32 firmware and supports Dshot, so that’s the firmware I ought to have been using in the first place. But while this is a step in the right direction, it still doesn’t see the Rx.

Post your parameter file.

1 Like

Yes sir!

coolyguy.param (20.1 KB)

1 Like

I dont see an issue with your parameters - but I could have missed something.
How are the receivers connected to the FC? Serial 6 Rx pin to Tx pin of receiver, and Serial 6 Tx pin to Rx pin of receiver

1 Like

Yes. Exactly that. Also I experimented with switching them when I was testing out 3 different receivers, Tx to Tx and Rx to Rx, just in case I or the manufacturer had gotten something backwards. But that didn’t work either.

edit: Just to be clear I initially (and still have) it set up with the receiver Rx to 6Tx on the FC, and receiver Tx to FC 6Rx. But I tried it backwards, too.

1 Like

Wow very conclusive and detailed!

1 Like

I promise to stop derailing your blog post after this. But I got the FC to talk to the RC.
ezgif-4-d492ec91dd
I don’t know about you but I was expecting to find a hardware issue. Instead it’s working but I still don’t know where the problem is.

1 Like

@andyp1per I added a paragraph explaining high-wind and aggressiveness.

2 Likes

@amilcarlucas
Thanks for the excellent configuration guide. The parameter update and change tracking method is very helpful.
A couple of questions on the build list if I may?
The H-RTK F9P GNSS looks quite large for the copter size and the helical antenna could be very vulnerable to impact damage. The location also sacrifices the GoPro mount.
Was this unit and location chosen for demonstration purpose vs an end mount GPS?
Concerning the battery, was this mounted underneath and was the PM02 V3 Power Module hard wired onto the FC?
I hope you can help?

1 Like

Hello @KiwiDrones , welcome to the community,

We do not plan to add a camera to that particular UAV. We placed it at the front to make it easier identify the front of the vehicle.

The unit was chosen for it’s performance and light weight.

Yes, the battery was mounted bellow and the PM02 V3 Power Module hard wired onto the FC.

1 Like

I have done a video, working through the majority of this process using this blog:

It is part of my new series on building a race quad:

6 Likes

Nice video, I will add some of the stuff you did (for example 4KHz IMU samplig on Matek H743 Slim) to the files. Thanks.

If you do a part 2 video with the first flight and the autotune, please show and use the provided .param files. They simplify and speed up the configuration process.

2 Likes

Thanks for the information.

1 Like

It is really amazing. Thanks for your work.

2 Likes

@xfacta I now quoted you in regard to vibration levels and their meaning

1 Like

@acoolguy please post your 03_RC_HWconfig.param so that others can reuse it.

1 Like

I now added the LOG_BITMASK bits to .bin dataflash message correspondence information.

1 Like

This is amazing but should totally be in the Wiki!

2 Likes

Oops. I must have deleted it. Here is a new one.
03_RC_HWconfig.param.txt (82 Bytes)

This does not work under my hardware configuration.

1 Like