How to enable External LED output for GPS lock

Hi guys, I have just uploaded the 2.75 to me APM 2.5 and I would like to have external LEDs showing mode and GPS status. The board is no in a great location and some external LEDs would be great, can this feature be added to the current firmware easily ?

Many thanks

Ian

@Ian,
Try here: http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/adding-external-led-indicators-and-a-piezo-beeper-for-arm-and-gps
Regards,
TCIII Developer

Hi TCII, thanks for the link, I have already made the LED`s up, the problem being that in the full parameter list of the 2.75 there is no LED_MODE parameter to enable to turn the feature on

IIRC, Plane doesn’t support LED outputs. That’s a Copter feature.

@StefanG,
I have asked Tridge to see if he can update the code to support external LEDs.
Regards,
TCIII Developer

What you need to get is the Toshiba 3 colour LED that is used in the new Pixhawk and Iris. That also works on APM2.6, and uses the 3 colours to give lots of state information (incuding GPS).
Unfortunately I don’t see it being sold separately in the store. I’ll ping Craig Elder about it.
Cheers, Tridge

I hope they add this feature back soon, so much more practical when the APM is hidden under foam. It can`t be resource hungry so makes sense fr it to remain

@Coyote,
So you are flying without telemetry? If you had telemetry you could tell instantly when you have GPS lock. Also telemetry will assist you in determining the cause of a fly away should it occur.
Regards,
TCIII Developer

Hi TCIII

I have telemetry but I won`t be flying all the time with it. The LED option was so when I am not using the telemetry and just fun flying I can see instantly before launch the units status

@Coyote,
I use this in the field as it is very small and compact: http://www.diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/ardustation-mega-v1-0b-arrived?id=705844%3ABlogPost%3A1036518&page=2#comments It can also record tlogs.
Here is a picture of it below:
Regards,
TCIII Developer

Very interesting, thanks for that :slight_smile:

Out of interest, are other versions available, that can connect to larger screens and hold the full mission planner software, like a bare bones pc ?

@Coyote,
I have built a mini-ITX PC and WXGA LCD into a Pelican 1520 case that can be powered by an internal 12 vdc 7 amphr SLA or a car battery. It runs Windows 7 and MP. It has USB ports for keyboard, touchpad, WiFi, and the 3DR telemetry radio. Pictures attached.
Regards,
TCIII Developer

Yes thats pretty much exactly what Im after, have you more details of parts etc

I plan to have a pelicase ground station with everything built into it

Is this the motherboard you are using ?

dabs.com/products/asus-c8hm7 … origin=pla

@Coyote,
No, I used an Intel mini-ITX motherboard that has an embedded Intel Atom dual core processor. I wanted the motherboard to use as little power as possible and you do not need a Pentium to run the MP.
So as to not hijack the original intent of this discussion, lets move over to the DIY Drones GCS build Forum Discussion: http://www.diydrones.com/forum/topics/my-diy-ground-control-station?id=705844%3ATopic%3A1114882&page=1#comments My GCS parts list and more photos of my GCS are on page 3 of the Forum Discussion.
Regards,
TCIII Developer

Yeah totally derailing the thread there :slight_smile:

Thanks for the extra info

@Coyote,
No problem.
Regards,
TCIII Developer

Is this available in the plane firmware yet?
External LED would save a few repairs! Can’t see inside the foam but I fitted the same leds as my quad. They just don’t work. No means of setti g led_mode…
John