How to connect a Walkera G-2D Gimbal to the Pixhawk

I’ve been reading through the Gimbal sections on the Wiki and searching everywhere trying to find any help to attach and control a Walkera G-2D Brushless Gimbal to the Pixhawk controller.

I can’t see find anything about it. Let me first say that I am new to this so my experience is minimal. This is my first custom drone project.

I am in the process of building a new rig with a Tarot 680 Pro, DJI E600 motor system and the Pixhawk controller. I have a Walkera G-2D Gimbal that I would like to use.

Has anyone already attached this Gimbal to a Pixhawk?
Any wiring diagrams I can use?

The G-2D controller has a power input and three controller pins for Pit / Roll / AUX, but there is no Ground connector on the control pins.

Heres a link to the limited manual showing the wiring and connectors. (img.banggood.com/images/upload/2 … Manual.pdf)

The diagram in the Wiki (copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-tarot-gimbal/) shows using the AUX 1 port S and GND pins. Im assuming the S pin connects to the pitch pin on the Walkera G-2D controller, but where would I connect the GND pin?

Any help appreciated.

Great question. I haven’t seen the G-2D tied to any controller successfully except through the Devo Radio AND Walkera software. I have the gimbal working very well in standalone mode. I’ve tried it through the Taranis radio without success ( only minimal pitch control).

I’m staying tuned and hope someone chimes in with insight.

[quote=“SimonNWalker”]I’ve been reading through the Gimbal sections on the Wiki and searching everywhere trying to find any help to attach and control a Walkera G-2D Brushless Gimbal to the Pixhawk controller.

I can’t see find anything about it. Let me first say that I am new to this so my experience is minimal. This is my first custom drone project.

I am in the process of building a new rig with a Tarot 680 Pro, DJI E600 motor system and the Pixhawk controller. I have a Walkera G-2D Gimbal that I would like to use.

Has anyone already attached this Gimbal to a Pixhawk?
Any wiring diagrams I can use?

The G-2D controller has a power input and three controller pins for Pit / Roll / AUX, but there is no Ground connector on the control pins.

Heres a link to the limited manual showing the wiring and connectors. (img.banggood.com/images/upload/2 … Manual.pdf)

The diagram in the Wiki (copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common-tarot-gimbal/) shows using the AUX 1 port S and GND pins. Im assuming the S pin connects to the pitch pin on the Walkera G-2D controller, but where would I connect the GND pin?

Any help appreciated.[/quote]

As I said, I’m no expert and just getting into this but I’m surprised its so complicated.
I expected it was simply a matter of typing in the power and linking to the AUX1 ports GNS and Signal pins on the Pixhawk controller with a couple of tweaks and settings in the Gimbal control screen for the Pixhawk.
I was really hoping to do it this so when using the ROI feature of missions planners and Follow Me modes, the Pixhawk would be able to make adjustments to the angle to ensure the camera was pointing in the right location.
If it works for the Tarot Gimbal, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for the Walkera.

[quote=“FullScalePilot2”]Great question. I haven’t seen the G-2D tied to any controller successfully except through the Devo Radio AND Walkera software. I have the gimbal working very well in standalone mode. I’ve tried it through the Taranis radio without success ( only minimal pitch control).

[/quote]

I have raised a support request with Walkera to see if they can provide any help on this issue.
I’ll update you as soon as I get any response.
Thanks

It appears simple enough when using the Devo TX and the laptop software. However, I’m not going that route. There is a user that posted some details on standalone adjustment and setup without the SW. Here’s the linkhttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show … 18&page=21 over on RCG, post 313.

[quote=“SimonNWalker”]As I said, I’m no expert and just getting into this but I’m surprised its so complicated.
I expected it was simply a matter of typing in the power and linking to the AUX1 ports GNS and Signal pins on the Pixhawk controller with a couple of tweaks and settings in the Gimbal control screen for the Pixhawk.
I was really hoping to do it this so when using the ROI feature of missions planners and Follow Me modes, the Pixhawk would be able to make adjustments to the angle to ensure the camera was pointing in the right location.
If it works for the Tarot Gimbal, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for the Walkera.

[quote=“FullScalePilot2”]Great question. I haven’t seen the G-2D tied to any controller successfully except through the Devo Radio AND Walkera software. I have the gimbal working very well in standalone mode. I’ve tried it through the Taranis radio without success ( only minimal pitch control).

[/quote][/quote]

I can get everything working perfectly as a standalone unit. I have used the Gimbal multiple times by connecting separate power and using the POTs to adjust the angles of the camera.

What I want to do now is attach to the Pixhawk so the Pixhawk will be able to control the angles of the camera when using ROI’s in missions or using the follow me mode.

Although right now I’d be happy if I could simply control it manually. This is how my test environment is setup:
I have my Pixhawk connected to my computer via USB.
I do NOT have a separate battery connected to my Pixhawk, the only power it has currently is from my computer.
I have my receiver connected to the Pixhawk, my Radio calibrated and tested and is all working fine.
I have a single wire connected form the S pin on AUX1 (RC9) on the Pixhawk to the Inner PIT pin on the Gimbal controller.
My S1 knob on the radio is working on Channel 8.
I have the TILT on the Mission Planner page set to RC8.
With everything powered on, the Gimbal is stabilizing just fine, but the camera is facing straight up.
Twisting the S1 knob on the radio has no effect on anything.
If I disconnect the PIT wire, the Gimbal adjusts and the camera is facing straight forward.

One thing I have noticed is there is no SAVE button or anything on the Mission Planner Camera Gimbal screen. I have exited Mission Planner, Powered down my Pixhawk and then restarted and reloaded Mission Planner. The settings are still showing. (See attached screen shot)

I am still concerned that the GND wire from the Pixhawk outputs is not connected, only the S (Signal) wire. Does the GND need to be linked in some way to the Gimbal Controller power source for the signal to work properly?

Perhaps you’ve gotten farther than I have. I’ve tried wiring through the X8R RX with only minor pitch and zero roll control through the pots or sliders. I’m not sure what’s different about the DEVO TX, but it is the only way I’ve seen the G-2D manually controlled. I’ve also asked around on a few threads over the last couple of months, but nothing yet. I hope someone cracks the code soon. I’d love to see it work with the PH and MP.

[quote=“SimonNWalker”]I can get everything working perfectly as a standalone unit. I have used the Gimbal multiple times by connecting separate power and using the POTs to adjust the angles of the camera.

What I want to do now is attach to the Pixhawk so the Pixhawk will be able to control the angles of the camera when using ROI’s in missions or using the follow me mode.

Although right now I’d be happy if I could simply control it manually. This is how my test environment is setup:
I have my Pixhawk connected to my computer via USB.
I do NOT have a separate battery connected to my Pixhawk, the only power it has currently is from my computer.
I have my receiver connected to the Pixhawk, my Radio calibrated and tested and is all working fine.
I have a single wire connected form the S pin on AUX1 (RC9) on the Pixhawk to the Inner PIT pin on the Gimbal controller.
My S1 knob on the radio is working on Channel 8.
I have the TILT on the Mission Planner page set to RC8.
With everything powered on, the Gimbal is stabilizing just fine, but the camera is facing straight up.
Twisting the S1 knob on the radio has no effect on anything.
If I disconnect the PIT wire, the Gimbal adjusts and the camera is facing straight forward.

One thing I have noticed is there is no SAVE button or anything on the Mission Planner Camera Gimbal screen. I have exited Mission Planner, Powered down my Pixhawk and then restarted and reloaded Mission Planner. The settings are still showing. (See attached screen shot)

I am still concerned that the GND wire from the Pixhawk outputs is not connected, only the S (Signal) wire. Does the GND need to be linked in some way to the Gimbal Controller power source for the signal to work properly?

So I finally got it working. I now have my Walkera G-2D Gimbal connected to my 3DR Pixhawk. I have full manual control over the Gimbal pitch and the Pixhawk should take control when i use mission planner with ROI and Follow Me modes (Still untested).

I’ve created a write up of what I did here:

charlottefpv.com/2015/03/how-to- … r-pixhawk/