How To Avoid Problems Using Flame HV 80A ESC, Please Advice

@Leonardthall, can we put out some notification or warning about this cutout issue on Flame esc’s ? During the last year, I lost three T-Drones T1200 based vehicles, due to a mysterious motor stopping. Motors were tested and burnt in on a testpad, and never suspected them, but now it starting to make sense.
(T1200 comes with Flame 60A HV Esc’s glued in).

Do you recall which motors have this issue? If there’s any specific series?

I’ve heard that the Navigator motors, not the new covered once but the older once with an open top had this issue. Although I’ve used those for 5 years with no issues.

Do you know if there’s any case of the bell getting lose on the newer Navigator series, the covered once?

I have only experienced these things on people who I was supporting so don’t have all the information available. I have seen enough to never use T-Motor myself but can’t be specific enough to author a warning on the wiki myself.

I would happy support such a warning if it was to be provided with specific motors and esc’s.

Yes, Flame 60A HV has that shutdown issue.

Can you reproduce it in a test environment?

Bell flying off is mainly in MN7005, U8 series. Ones with only retaining screws and no circlip. Ones with circlip and retaining screws work well.

We tried to but couldn’t on bench. It happens randomly at various throttle levels. We initially suspected it was current spike which was causing the short protection to trigger. But we have lot of aircrafts which experienced this at 10 to 30% of current rating. This includes U15II+Flame 180A, U8II or Lite + Flame 60A and 80A. I have reports from customers experiencing same with Flame 60A and with different motors.
Above was the reason why I had requested them provide firmware with this protection off for testing. But they refused to.

Something I wanted to try was input PWM from flight log as PWM input on bench to reproduce. But since they don’t want to cooperate to debug the issue, I stopped using and selling their products.

2 Likes

It is over current shut down. It takes a short PWM spike at a low rpm and maybe the right load. It does not require high load and is more likely to happen just after a low pwm command.

Might be a bit off topic - but just wondering what propulsion brand(s) you use?

So many times. Usually when AP suddenly demands throttle. But very difficult to reproduce.

hobbywing 80a 12s, tell me how to make a current sensor for such regulators? Are there any ready-made solutions on Aliexpress? I’ve never built such large ones, as I understand they don’t have built-in control?

Hi Ilya, you should probably start your own discussion rather that cut in on a specific Flame ESC discussion.

2 Likes

In this video https://youtu.be/_fmM0iDigbk at about 33:00 they talk about how the current spikes insanely high on start/changing speed for a very short time, something like more than 130 amps for less than 40 ms. Because it’s such a short time, they say it doesn’t matter that it spikes far past the ESC’s current rating 'cause it’s not for long enough to damage the ESC. This is about Blheli_32 ESCs which let you set the current protection value (and for these, when the current hits that value, they just reduce the thrust, I think, rather than fully shutting down).

Could it be that the T-Motor ESCs are shutting down when that spike hits their max current rating instead of letting it go past it?

This is what we expected initially. But I have had incidents where aircraft was cruising at 10 to 15% of rated current and it suddenly shuts off. We had concluded it to short protection trigger since the esc operates normally after reboot. But there’s much more to it.

1 Like