Hobbywing 4in1 60A ESC as a battery monitor

Hello everyone

I’m using the Hobbywing 4in1 60 ESC in a medium size quad. I’m asking me, if it’s possible to use the the ESC as a battery monitor. The ESC provides a Volt (BAT) and a Amp (CRT) Pin. To my understanding it should be possible to connect those to the flight controllers power port.

Unfortunately the telemetry port is missing on the ESC, specially for a BLHeli esc. Otherwise I could use the standard BLHeli battery monitor feature.

many thanks in advance.

Michael

Yes the ArduCopter 4.0.7 FW can do that. Just change the BATT_MONITOR type to BLHeli
But the ESC do need to provide telemetry info.

But I think he made the point that his ESC has no telemetry point…
I think the solution is to connect the CTR pin of the ESC to the current measurement pin of the FC…
Which FC do you use?

Yes, that’s the point, not telemetry port…

I like to test it on an older pixhawk 2.4.8, but also with a CUAV V5 Nano and the Nora.

There is the pinout of the power port: https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/business5/uploads/bluerobotics/original/2X/7/7053834da16f740de38a42088fc57fd6f6cdf0d8.jpg

But keep in mind to check the voltage levels!

Thanks a lot. I have just checked the voltage levels. The voltage sensing pin is the actual battery voltage, in my case between 21V and 25.2V. According to the arducopter documentation page the Pixhawk input must be under 3.3V. So I will include a voltage divider to mach the voltage to the sensing pin.

What do you think? This should work?

Michael

Sure that will work. CTR to your Current input pin and a ~10:1 divider to the voltage pin.

Great, thanks a lot for the help :wink:

I think for current you COULD be fine without a voltage divider, since it says 11,75 mV/A, which should be fine, actually seems a bit low…

Unless he exceeds 280a :slight_smile: I suppose there is already a voltage divider on the current output as it appears to have a .025 ohm shunt resistor.

No, I hope I never get 280A :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Normal hovering will be at around 15A… max current during flight around 50A