hMotors doesn't start slow spin when armed with BlHeli ESC

The new feature that was added to APM. When you arm your uav, motors start spinning slowly. I think that’s a brilliant idea. It removes the trouble of having to go near the UAV to check wether it’s armed or not.

Here is the deal, in one of my quads, i have stock Skywalker 20A ESCs and when i arm the quad, they start spinning.

On the other quad, i have Turnigy Plush 18A ESCs flashed with BlHeli fimware. And they don’t start spinning when I arm my quad.

I’ve done ESC calibration on both of them.
Theyare both APM 2.5 boards with exact same version of APM loaded.
I tried to change min_throttle(?) in full parameter list on the second quad, it didn’t help.
Also changed “spinning speed when armed” from all the way to very slow to fast. Didn’t help either.

What could cause this?

That’s funny. I just yesterday flashed my Hobby King Q-Brain 4-in-1, which is a rebrand of the Skywalker 4-in-1 20A ESC with BLHeli and all seems perfectly fine. Motors spin on armed just fine, although it feels like they are a tiny bit slower but that can be a misperception. I run 3.2-RC2 on a Pixhawk, though.

If you can add a log file and tell which version of copter you are using, I move this thread to the Copter software forum. I think that would be a valid support request because it’s about configuring Copter and not about configuring the ESCs.

You need to set
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/arduco … SPIN_ARMED

for your combination of motor and ESC

there are several speeds at which you can run them idle, try upping that parameter.

[quote=“StefanG”]That’s funny. I just yesterday flashed my Hobby King Q-Brain 4-in-1, which is a rebrand of the Skywalker 4-in-1 20A ESC with BLHeli and all seems perfectly fine. Motors spin on armed just fine, although it feels like they are a tiny bit slower but that can be a misperception. I run 3.2-RC2 on a Pixhawk, though.

If you can add a log file and tell which version of copter you are using, I move this thread to the Copter software forum. I think that would be a valid support request because it’s about configuring Copter and not about configuring the ESCs.[/quote]

Hey there, the quad that spins the props when armed has HK Q-Brain 4 in 1 20 Amp ESC. I refered it as skywalker because they are more popular. I use it stock. And they spin when armed.

The one that doesn’t spin is Turnigy Plush 18A Flashed with BlHeli(11.2)

I’ think it might be happening because Plush 18A when Flashed with BlHeli requires just a bit more PWM to start spinning props than what APM is sending.

Is there a way to manually change PWM of Arming Spin?

I’m using HK’s APM 2.5 clone. Running the current default firmware(3.1 i believe)

I’ll add a log file next time i fly.

Cheers.

[quote=“Craig3DR”]You need to set
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/arduco … SPIN_ARMED

for your combination of motor and ESC[/quote]

Tried them all. On my Quadro 4 in 1 ESC quad, i can see it changing spinning speed. On Plush 18A, it doesn’t change anything.

Try higher… without props!!!
I had to raise it by quite a bit to get my RCT 5010-14 360kV spin with the stock Q-Brain and as I said - they feel a bit slower with BLHeli.

But maybe you want to first just connect one ESC directly to a receiver to check if it works at all?

[quote=“StefanG”]Try higher… without props!!!
I had to raise it by quite a bit to get my RCT 5010-14 360kV spin with the stock Q-Brain and as I said - they feel a bit slower with BLHeli.

But maybe you want to first just connect one ESC directly to a receiver to check if it works at all?[/quote]

Higher what? My quad flies quite well, i have no problems. Only APM doesn’t start slowly spinning props when armed without me increasing throttle via Radio.

I think Plush ESCs start spinning motors around 1000 PWM, but APM’s default “minimum throttle PWM needed to spin props” is giving about 980.

I meant setting the MOT_SPIN_ARMED parameter higher :slight_smile:.

sorry, old topic, but when you have esc with BLHeli firmware, do you select ESC type to Normal in MP ESC calibration?