High Speed Auto Mission

@Daniel_Susca can you post a link to the thread that got you up and flying? For the life of me, I cannot get my 5" Armattan Badger stable. Thanks!

This is merged in master now? So I can test it on PixRacer with the latest -dev?

yes, it is merged in master now.

1 Like

I’m impressed with this @Leonardthall @rmackay9 !! 5" with a Pixracer with 4.2.0-Dev. ~53° for a very steady 26 m/s. I suppose it could do a bit more. Plenty of reserve thrust. At what angle will stability get wonky?

Note: I noticed that WP Speed on the Tune channel 6 isn’t working. The speed changes were done with a DO command.

Nice!

I have an aircraft that will happily run at a little over 50m/s holding 75 degrees lean angle in auto and guided modes. So with a good tune you can push hard! I think I have all those changes in Master now so I don’t think you have any further restrictions.

Just take the limits off and see how hard it will go :slight_smile:

I would just set the lean angle max to something like 75 degrees, auto to 50m/s, acceleration to 10 m/s/s then switch to RTL from about 500m away and 50m up. If you get into trouble switch back to Alt Hold (it will be almost back to you anyway). Auto prioritises height control over speed so you are pretty safe.

Looking at your log you have a lot more in it. I think you will find the autopilot will handle it fine as long as your power system doesn’t melt :slight_smile:

1 Like

Finally got back to this project. Log file below.
Commanded 30m/s and achieved 29m/s and 65deg lean angle

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14B2xfiiAQQZW0R7Pi7ris3TbRKvogBNX/view?usp=sharing

I will turn it up a little bit more. I also want to get the missions to be more “flowy” from waypoint to waypoint, meaning less braking as it comes to a waypoint and a smoother direction change to the next waypoint

1 Like

That’s about what my 5" is doing. I’m going to wind it up a bit more also but it looks like yours has more thrust available so you would likely win a drag race :slight_smile:

Not that your tuning is a problem (looks good), just curious why you are not using RPM reference for the Dynamic Notch filter? You have the Bdshot version and haven’t enabled that either which is a better reference than ESC telemetry.

Boss wanted to see the high speed auto missions proven out. I do notice some oscillation so I do want to get the rpm reference set up. All in due time

Better now than later I would say. Graph your IMU0 clip events… The Dynamic Notch isn’t active on the accelerometers but it is essentially considered Initial Tuning parameters now.

So I maxed her out. ANGLE_MAX to 75° and a WP Nav speed of 40 m/s which it couldn’t reach. Why is obvious in the RCout graph. " I’ve giv’n her all she’s got captain, an’ I canna give her no more" as Mr. Scott would say :smiley:

Very pleased with the result here, I’ll fire up a more powerful craft and see what she can do. This one is the test mule.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update Dave!

You can see that you can open it right up and it will take care of the limits. If you plot your desired altitude vs altitude I think you will see that it was quite happy sitting on the limit.

It’s overlaid, no error to speak of. I find it quite amazing that attitude and altitude control is so good with all motors running close to max. What a success story!

Yeh, it took a lot of work and thinking to get there but most people are completly oblivious of what the autopilot can really do when set up correctly.

Thanks for the hard work Leonard - I haven’t done high speed missions (or even high speed runs like that with RC control) but my son has/does/will for sure, and we appreciate the developers efforts.

And thanks to people like Dave for testing!

1 Like

Played with the spline waypoint function to carry more speed throughout the mission. The video doesn’t do the speed and acceleration justice
Log
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Yag0DLnc08XjsJ1tW3Tr0615Idv1dqCX/view?usp=sharing
Video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/17RFYSkag4c8NEIxaGWRjbv12tHjThoiM/view?usp=sharing

3 Likes

Tuning looked really good, you could set ATC_THR_MIX_MAN,0.5
and that Spline path is excellent

Your height is a little off because the EKF is struggling to get the vertical velocity correct do to the vibrations. IMU 1 is clipping a little. IMU 2 looks a little better.

Thanks for sharing this. It is great to see people taking advantage of this so quickly and pushing the limits :slight_smile:

Hello guys, I have a similar problem, unfortunately. I tried to apply the solutions here to my quad but
I can’t increase the speed of the quad in auto mode. I downloaded the beta final version as there is a chance to increase the tilt angle. I also made the fft notch settings. I set the waypoint speed to 20 m/s. I set max_angle to 75. but unfortunately it doesn’t. I can’t go over 7m/s. my hardware:

cuav nano v5 FC,
little bee spring esc, emax rs2306 2750 kv engine,
cuav neo3 pro gnss gps.
frame 250mm.

Quad flies great in manual flight, I can give the speed I want, but as I said, when I switch to auto mode, it becomes very cumbersome. I’m putting the log and bin files of the manual flight and the bin file of the auto mod below. I will be grateful to anyone who knows how to fix this.
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1-2Nv1Bgdz8KGwZv6zF8wVHSO_Ci5EE45

Increase WPNAV_JERK to be something like 10 m/s/s

I tuned up a 4" and put a battery in that could supply the current and got some truly impressive Auto Mission speed runs with this craft. ~38 m/s with a pitch angle of 72° with really good stability. 72° !!
I don’t have anything faster :slight_smile: Hats off Mr. Hall.

1 Like