Hex problem after update to 4.4.2

Having just updated my hexacopter to v4.2.2 I’ve had a series of problems. First thing I noticed was an MP error message saying I need to check frame type. When I checked Frame Type, sure enough the ‘Undefined’ box was highlighted despite the fact I’d selected the Hexacopter icon when doing the update.

Next I noticed the copter wasn’t responding to Flight Mode changes and, when I checked the screen I saw that all my flight modes had reverted to ‘Stabilize’.

Having corrected both those configuration problems I was then prompted to recalibrate compass and accelerometer. Having done that the copter now arms, but only the left and right motor spin on arming, and when I open the throttle (props off, in the workshop).

Here’s the parameter file and a link to a log file made with pre-arm logging enabled:

23-11-02 After update to v4.2.2.param (20.5 KB)

Having just compared params with the previous set from v4.2.1 I see there are many other changes – fence parameters being obvious ones. Would writing the previous param file from before the update do any harm, or put everything back to where it was?

Between 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 loading the old parameters should be ok

But not between 4.4.2 and 4.2.2

My advice is to load the 4.2.1 parameters twice with a reboot inbetween .

After that update to 4.4.2 without reloading any parameters

Ooops! I meant I’ve updated from 4.4.1 to 4.4.2.

I’ve also realised why only two motors are spinning – I had assigned motors to S5, 6, 7, 8, 11 and 12 on the Matek H743MINI board because they’re physically adjacent to each other, so those assignments must have been lost during the update. Getting late now so I’ll load the previous param file tomorrow.

The icon for multirotor makes no difference, they all flash the same firmware. It has been years since there was separate firmware for different frame types. That said I’m not sure why it would have reset anything. Personally I don’t use those icons. Download the .apj file from the repository for the board you are using and then use Mission Planners “load custom firmware” to flash it. Then you know exactly what you are getting. For your board it would be from here Matek H74s Stable

I had assumed that because of the version number being the same, though it’s also the same for helis and in the repository there’s a different .apj file for Matek H743-heli.

I think my best bet is to re-do the update and then to overwrite the param file with the last good one before the update. I’ll use the custom firmware method you’ve described. Thank you.

Yes right. Traditional Helicopter is different than multirotor.

That will probably work but if you haven’t done that before you may have to load it at least twice. The 1st time to enable some additional parameters and the 2nd to write those parameters. I rarely do this but when I do I then use a parameters compare to make sure they are all set right.

Seems to me that Parameters Compare is the simplest way to replace new with old. I just leave all the boxes checked, don’t I?

Yes. Make sure you hit Write after hitting Continue or it won’t persist.

Done that, and done a 1-minute test hover, and everything seems normal now. I’ll have to do another full test flight at our flying field before re-doing MagFit.

Thank you for your help.

1 Like