Help with setup of a trex 450 clone

@Pedro_Claro
I just had a FC failure on one of my drones. I am going to use my spare Matek H743 on the drone. So, I need to get another FC for the heli.

What FC are you using? How do you like it?

I am using the Matek H743 Wing almost in all aircrafts.

1 Like

@Pedro_Claro,

Almost have all of the parts for the heli. I got the x360 and put it together. It looks very solid. Better than the 450 that I had. Only waiting on the magnets, hall sensor, and motor.

Hoping this is going to be a solid build! :slight_smile: :+1:

On the other day was playing with the x360 belt tension and just crashed, the spindle shaft and a blade is damage. It was a bit loose, so make it tight because the governor doesnt forgive. The good thing is that is easy to get spare parts. :+1:

1 Like

How did you mount your magnets on the x360? I have been looking for a spot to put them on the front tail pully. I am not seeing a good place to mount the hall sensor.

Here a picture :slight_smile:

Just a drop of epoxy and you glue 1 magnet per each arm! This way the counting becomes very precise.

1 Like

Any issues or disadvantages of mount it to the drive gear compared to the tail gear?

I thought it should be mounted on the tail gear. So it measure the auto rotation when the motor is stopped. I thought I read that was necessary for some functions.

It should be on the tail gear! In my case, I just wanted to make it work with more magnets and it was easy to plant a magnet in each “small circle” that you can see per each arm of the main rotor. When I have the time will change it to the tail, this way the harmonic notch filter will be more exact. Maybe 4 will be enough on the tail because it’s a small gear, with 1 also works and it’s more easy, you decide. Just check if the magnets they go through the frame by forcing up the main rotor, normally it has a small tolerance.

1 Like

Maybe it’s easy if you disassemble de rotor gears and glue the magnets outside on the top of the tail gear and the sensor you glue it on the side where you don’t have the swash servo, should be free to pick up the mag field. I would put as many as possible including the needed interval so the sensor can switch. With more magnets you have higher counting = more precision
Cheers

1 Like

Maybe in this place.
Just let me know where you place it in the end.

1 Like

Thanks for all the information!

I was thinking about this spot. It is on the front side of the swash plate next to the servo.

The magnets would be on the inside of the tail gear. I think the trick will be getting the magnets high enough without hitting the servo bracket. Might have to do a little trimming of the belt retainer ring that is held on with 4 screws. The other hope is to get the senor low enough to pick up the magnetic field.

I was thinking about using 4 magnets. I could go up to 8 with how the gear is setup. I wonder how much spacing the magnets need at the 2400 rpm speed to have a good signal. I am going to play with the sensor and magnets before deciding how many magnets. I want to see how far away the sensor can be from the magnet before it looses signal and go from there.

Inside the tail gear I think it wont work. You will notice that the sensor must pass quite close to the magnet, ~2/3 mm. Why dont you place them on top?
With 4 magnets must work, to increase as you said you have to probe first, some spacing must be there to ensure not to catch the side mag field. The sensor is switching fast the rpms should not be a problem. I am going to find some time to arrange mine in the tail and let you know and it works with me. I will leave also the main rotor sensor so we can compare the differences. Dont know if you notice but I have 2 Hall sensors one at each side, just for my learning, and for increadible it is they differ the counting (very minor thing) :slight_smile: Maybe they miss 1 mag count in a while, and this is a good reason to have more magnets, this way we mitigate this error.

BTW some time ago you talk about the BLHeli firmware and the PWM settings, I normally use the 48Khz fixed for both low and high rpms. I would not make it progressive just to avoid harmonics. I have tryed several ways and could not notice a difference regarding more or less torque. Also I set the free wheel option to help the autorotation (just theory, the moment I use the tail magnets will learn that). So later if you achieve a beter performance with your own settings let me know the settings you use.
Cheers,
Pedro

I am not sure there is enough space to the magnets on top. I will check it out as a first option. I was thinking I could stack several to get it really close to the top or just above it where it will not run into the servo bracket. I am still waiting for the magnets to arrive. When they do I see what will work easily.

I got a newer BLHeli ESC. I will see what it supports. Probably just going to start with all defaults.

I will let you know what I figure out for all my setting. I am hoping that FW 4.2 comes out soon. I would like to use that one. It looks like there are some improvements as well as specific bug fixed for the Matek FCs.

1 Like

Just placed some magnets in the tail gear.

Here I leave a video!

I am still waiting for magnets and sensors. I hope they come this week.

Looks really good! Did you have to make a hole for the magnet?

I use 3x1mm magnets instead. The 3x2mm cannot go through the frame.

Check this out!
RPM1 = Main Rotor sensor
RPM2 = Tail gear sensor
BLHeli32 → non damped mode turned on.

Switching On & Off the interlock:

Switching the Interlock Off: (motor idle of 6% is appearing in the end)

Disarming motor:

By enabling the non damped mode in the BLHeli32, the graphics dont differ much as I expected. When both differ the rpms are too low and doesnt matter is already below critical rotation.
So probably you dont need to stress in putting the magnets in the tail gear. At least I dont see an advantage.

Opinions?

Cheers,
Pedro

Yeah, doesn’t look like a big difference. I wouldn’t know how much the difference would make.

I don’t have the 3x1 coming and the 3x2 are taking forever! I will take your advise and do the easy and put them on the head gear.

Well, I got sick of waiting for the magnets to come from aliexpress.com. I bought some on amazon. They were delivered today. I have 3x1 and 5x1 N52 magnets. I hooked up a tests circuit and was able to see a LED switch on and off. Both of them switched the circuit on and off well.

I am going to try and hook everything up this weekend. So, I should have some spin up data soon. :+1:

1 Like

@Pedro_Claro I tired to get the resistor and LED off the board two boards that I bought. It didn’t go well. I messed up both LED. Not as easy as it looks to remove LEDs. :cry:

Waiting for parts again. :cry:

1 Like