Servers by jDrones

Help Wiring brushless motor with building encoder

Hi All.
I want to connect 4 brushless dc motors to pixhawk
the motors has only 5 wires instead of 6 (see attached link)

I could not find any record how to wire them to the flight controller.
help is much welcome :slight_smile:
kind regards
Benny

Why do you expect 6 wires?
The connections are documented on the site you linked.
Red: Power+ (Power from battery, not the servo rail)
Black: GND
White: direction (relay)
Yellow: Encoder signal
Blue: PWM/Analog speed control.

This motor has a brushless motor controller build in, but to use it, you must set ardurover to “brushed with relay” ESC type.

Hi Sebastian,
thanks for your kind help!!
so if I get it right there is no need for ESC`s and the wiring should be like the attache picture?

Looks ok. But you will not be able to use the encoder signal. Ardurover expects a signal from two seperate sensors on two input pins per motor to form a quadrature encoded signal. Your motors only give a rpm signal.

OK understood!!
thanks for your kind help!!

i managed to connect the same motor with ardupilot. The motor turns in both directions.
the problem is that i can not seem to get the motor to stop turning. as soon as i aply power to the system the motor starts turning and never stops. Using the joystick i can change directions but when i am not touching the joystick the motor turns constantly.
I think it has to do with the PWM values. I tried everything and i can not seem to get it working. Any ideas?

What type of motor controller are you using and what esc type is selected in the parametes? I had the same issue with a rover build and found I had the esc type parameter set to bipolar and when I switched to normal all was good

Hi Leonard, thanks for the reply!!!
The motors have a build in controller as i understand (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32842259866.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4do5KU6o).
The connections are documented as:
Red: Power+ (Power from battery, not the servo rail)
Black: GND
White: direction (relay)
Yellow: Encoder signal
Blue: PWM/Analog speed control.

I set the MOT_PWM_TYPE to “BrushedWithRelay”. I connected the White line (Direction) to the Relay pin of the ardupilot.
I tried “Normal” and the motor keeps constantly turning and in this way i can not even control the direction of the rotation. With BrushedWithRelay i can change the direction but i can not control the speed or make the motor stop turning (keeps turning constantly)

Servers by jDrones