Help needed with configuration wizard on MP

When running the configuration wizard, under battery monitor, how do I answer the question: “What sensor are you using?”

Choices are:
3DR 4n 1 ESC
3DR Power module
Alto 45
Alto 90
Alto 180.

Does the iris have a sonar? If so, which of the 4 choices do I select? If it doesn’t have one, do I simply not check enable and then it ignores a model (as you have to have 1 selected as there is not an option for “none” or a blank to choose.

Reason I ask, is that I am getting a low battery warning via telemetry and in MP even though I am using fully charged batteries (3500 mAh batteries from 3DR). I think the correct answer to what sensor I’m using is 3DR power module, but the only way I can get the Iris to power up without almost immediately shutting down and giving me a “low battery” sound, is by selecting the 3DR power module. I don’t think the other 3 are correct. I don’t believe the stock Iris comes with a sonar, so I hope just NOT selecting enable makes it not matter what is in the other box.

Hi ronaldo5593,

The Iris is preconfigured at the factory, the monitor options are:
Monitor 4: Voltage and Current
Sensor 5: 3DR 4 in 1 ESC
APM Ver 4: Pixhawk

Pixhawk doesn’t have a sonar. If you want to load the default parameters you can do it by going to initial setup, mandatory hardware, frame type, select the Iris.param file from the default settings, load parameters, ok, continue.

Is it possible for you to try another battery?

[quote=“RogelioN”]Hi ronaldo5593,

The Iris is preconfigured at the factory, the monitor options are:
Monitor 4: Voltage and Current
Sensor 5: 3DR 4 in 1 ESC
APM Ver 4: Pixhawk

Pixhawk doesn’t have a sonar. If you want to load the default parameters you can do it by going to initial setup, mandatory hardware, frame type, select the Iris.param file from the default settings, load parameters, ok, continue.

Is it possible for you to try another battery?[/quote]

Hmm, I thought I needed to run the configuration wizard…I went thru it and did the radio calibration, accel. calibration, compass calibration, etc. The voltage issue and sonar were the only areas that gave me any trouble. So, I also loaded the Iris parameter and the latest version of firmware. The only things I had to really make any decisions about, were in regard to failsafe settings and fence issues. Would loading the Iris parameter and loading the firmware have made it unnecessary to run the wizard?

Hopefully I haven’t created a problem by running the wizard???
Yes, I tried 3 separate batteries, but all are the same brand and type (i.e. the ones 3DR provides with the Iris). All were fully charged and a separate multimeter was used to verify that they are in fact fully charged. Showing as 12.57-12.59 range.

But, doesn’t the Iris use a power module rather than a 4 in 1 ESC? That is how it is referred to in the literature (manuals/specs, etc). I don’t mind selecting 4 in 1 if that is what it wants…and when I select that, it seems to work and I don’t get the almost immediate low battery warning.

Ronaldo.
Rogeliion’s setting are the correct ones, he’s one of the moderators here, he knows.
loading the iris params and the latest firmware should be fine.
So you should be set to go.

The Iris uses the 4 in 1 ESC board, which also has a built in power module, so loading the Iris parameters will select the proper configuration, so you don’t need to make a decision of the sensors or other configurations.

The wizard could be confusing, someone told me that it looks like mandatory but for RTFs there is no need to use it, since all the configurations and calibrations were done at the factory.

What is interesting is the low battery warning. Maybe you can take a look to the voltage calibration in the wiki:
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … ge_reading

I too have had problems with Mission Planner. It did not seem to recognise my new Iris without going through the configuration wizard. Now I feel like I’ve ruined a perfectly good drone! My Iris was flying well on factory settings, but I have had no end of trouble since going through the config. I went through everything twice and had to configure the ESCs as well since it was racing along the ground and smashing itself when I armed it. I would love to reset it to factory settings, but it tells me I have the latest firmware already installed. I’m a complete newbie to drones and model aircraft in general, but it was the ability to set waypoints and fly autonomously that really attracted me to this unit. Now I feel completely lost! Is there a failsafe way to restore it’s original settings? Like, all of them?
:blush:

From my crash thread…

The Iris is ready to fly out of the box. There is no reason to go through the Setup Wizard. All of those settings are done at the factory, but this does present an interesting scenario. We do need to tell people they do not need to use the wizard.
Please go to initial Settings - Mandatory Hardware - Frame Type - Load Default Frame Parameters - Scroll down the list until you find iris. This drop down also appears in the Full Parameter list under Config / Tuning.

Thanks for your reply Lou, but I don’t see an option for Mandatory Hardware in Initial Settings. My options on that page are:
Install Firmware, which opens a panel with icons,
Wizard,

Optional Hardware.
If I try to use Install Firmware or the Wizard, they both tell me I already have that version of installed. Maybe there is a problem with my installation of Mission Planner? Am I missing something?

Iris has to be connected to the USB…

Ahhhh, Thank you. I’d like to add for other newbies that you also need to connect using the connect button in the upper right hand corner and you may need to change the com port for the mandatory hardware list to show up.
:smiley:
One last question… do I need to load the parameters for all the categories?
i.e. Frametype
Compass,
Accel calibration
etc?

Yes, connect to the right com port is needs :slight_smile:

Load all the params for Iris.

The wizard will setup all correct, you have only to choose the right Hardware.

Does the wizard only update settings at the end or does it update settings progressively as the one progresses through the wizard?

I also started going through the wizard and then saw the post from LouBnyc saying " We do need to tell people they do not need to use the wizard" so I stopped midpoint with the wizard. Now, I wonder if my IRIS+ is in a poorly defined state.

ouch, I believe it changes them as it goes. You need to load the IRIS.param file and that should put it back. It will high light all the parameters it’s going to change before you write them to the copter. Check them over and see if any are changing that would have been updated by the wizard.

Mike

I think I reloaded IRIS.Param file. I still do not get any display of parameters on the transmitter screen. Can anyone think of something else I can try?