Help - MAIDEN CRASH - U8 Motors - SimonK ESCs?

Hey guys,

I maidened my huge x8. All was going well until this happened:

youtube.com/watch?v=L8NO_EFDVRI

I’m positive it was an ESC brown out due to the SimonK :angry: (getfpv actually recommended I purchased these ESCs with the U8 motors… bad customer recommendation if you ask me).

I want some second opinions. What do you all think happened?

Attached is the log file

THANK YOU ALL!

It’s hard to tell if you had a motor/ESC failure without the motor logging on. I agree the video makes it appear you had an ESC problem. It could be, but I’m not so sure.

If you look at the attached plot of your throttle in and out against your BaroAlt there’s something odd. The log says your throttle input (i.e., you) was headed to zero even before your octo started dropping. And your Pixhawk obediently gave you what it thought you were asking for. If your RC Tx had completely crapped out I’d expect to see a failsafe ERR, but there isn’t one. Perhaps you saw the octo rocking a bit (it had reached about a 10 degree departure at that point) and chopped the throttle to save it?

Anyway, put new props on it, tie it to the ground and run it at high power until you are satisfied it either is or isn’t an ESC problem.

[quote=“OtherHand”]It’s hard to tell if you had a motor/ESC failure without the motor logging on. I agree the video makes it appear you had an ESC problem. It could be, but I’m not so sure.

If you look at the attached plot of your throttle in and out against your BaroAlt there’s something odd. The log says your throttle input (i.e., you) was headed to zero even before your octo started dropping. And your Pixhawk obediently gave you what it thought you were asking for. If your RC Tx had completely crapped out I’d expect to see a failsafe ERR, but there isn’t one. Perhaps you saw the octo rocking a bit (it had reached about a 10 degree departure at that point) and chopped the throttle to save it?

Anyway, put new props on it, tie it to the ground and run it at high power until you are satisfied it either is or isn’t an ESC problem.[/quote]

Thank you for the advice, Will tie down and test!

Ok, Tied down aircraft…

This time nothing odd happened. very strange.

You might want to enable motor logging for the next few flights just in case something happens. That will give you a record of what the controller is asking each motor to do. But don’t log like that forever, it’s a resource hog.