Has anyone mounted GPS on IRIS External?

I posted the other day a video of my iris seemingly cutting in and out. That was moved out of this forum, as it was suggested to be software issue. However, after hearing back from 3dr, the tech suggested it was in fact vibrations. I opened the top of iris as instructed and moved a bundle of wires that was touching the telemetry receiver (which was loose and i tightened) and only a mm or two from pixhawk. My thought was the looses telemetry rx was pushed into the wires which was pushing into the pixhawk. After several flights, I am still seeing z axis vibrations randomly. Only thing left close to/touching pixhawk is the gps. Has anyone tried to move the gps external? Any drawback to doing this? Thank you

Have a look at the test results in this post: viewtopic.php?f=48&t=7626

It appears like the z-axis vibrations are related to the GPS module touching the Pixhawk and thus transferring vibrations from the frame to the Pixhawk via the GPS.

Once I isolated the Pixhawk again (by raising the hull) the sporadic z-axis vibrations went away.
Maybe with this new data 3DR can give us more guidance / feedback.

Please contact help@3DRobotics for a piece of thinner foam.

Can someone post some pics of where the foam goes? In between the pixhawk and the GPS module?

We can’t relocate the GPS module?

I’m seemingly not having this problem BUT I’m a n00b and likely don’t know what to look for.

But the wire crimpings do have me worried, along these lines…

i believe the foam he is talking about is the foam used to attach the pixhawk to the iris, this foam is about 1/4" thick, if the foam were thinner the gps module would not touch the power and i2c cable. i will need to replace my i2c cable as one of the black leads has worn through the insulation and copper is showing.

Yes, it’s the foam between the Pixhawk flight controller and the IRIS frame (top shelf to be exact).
These are 4 pieces of foam with sticky tape on both sides that need to be replaced.

While doing this, place the Pixhawk as far to the back as you can without touching the 3DR radio and while keeping it aligned along the center axis.

What if its not placed on the center axis?

Its no problem to place the 3DR GPS/Compass outside the IRIS on a mast right beside the upper shell . 2 tight zip ties to fix it on the arm. (would not drill a hole there) It doesn´t mind off center, but you have to do compass cali. Distance improves compass behavior and GPS reception. The bad news is, that 3DR doesn´t sell the housing for their (naked inside IRIS combo) separately. I would have even bought one for the former GPS (plugs located a bit different) . A mast for mounting is available from a red white competitor or from one of the chinese stores, who sometimes supply empty housings for bigger GPS antennas as well. Hunt .
Btw. A longer GPS/Compass cable is needed as well. Don´t forget to mantle the tiny wires, maybe with some of these nice looking black fiber mantles.

[quote=“gervais”]Its no problem to place the 3DR GPS/Compass outside the IRIS on a mast right beside the upper shell . 2 tight zip ties to fix it on the arm. (would not drill a hole there) It doesn´t mind off center, but you have to do compass cali. Distance improves compass behavior and GPS reception. The bad news is, that 3DR doesn´t sell the housing for their (naked inside IRIS combo) separately. I would have even bought one for the former GPS (plugs located a bit different) . A mast for mounting is available from a red white competitor or from one of the chinese stores, who sometimes supply empty housings for bigger GPS antennas as well. Hunt .
Btw. A longer GPS/Compass cable is needed as well. Don´t forget to mantle the tiny wires, maybe with some of these nice looking black fiber mantles.[/quote]

Gervais, what do you mean by “mantle the tiny wires”? I don’t understand the term “mantle” in this context. By the way, for those of you who have not checked out Gervais’ thread on RC groups, I strongly encourage you to do so. He has a lot of great and useful upgrades…just think of it as an alternate source of information for this great MC. He listed a link to his thread…check it out. PLUS, he takes GREAT photos that really show detail that has helped me out on several occasions.

Kanga, please move your discussions about DIY modifications to your vehicles to the Iris users group on DIYDrones.

There is no tech support question in this post.