Ground Controll with video and telemetry... Herelink and Siyi MK15

Hi
I am trying to find best solution to RC control of bigger copters for photos and video with mirrorless cameras. For several years I was using traditional RC like Frsky X10S + video transmitters but now I would like to find something “all in one” with bigger RC range. I have Herelink 1.1 and Siyi MK15 on 2 different copters and some thoughts about this controllers.

Herelink
pros:

• small lightweight body
  • good quality updated regularly link
  • popular so many info on groups about configuration and problems
  • additional Solex app
  • compatible with airpixel.cz entire
  • possibility to charge the batteries during using

cons:

• general build quality is not so good like controllers from DJI
  • small battery fast discharging
  • you can bind only one air unit to ground unit so it’s time consuming to use Herelink GU with different models
  • complicated method of calibration of gimbals and wheel
  • limited number of physical switches and only one wheel
  • wheel is not precise and steppe. It’s hard to smooth control pitch of the gimbal
  • Features are changing with the releases of new firmware
  • Solex app is working but it’s not perfect some features doesn’t work in it.
  • Standard QGC app hangs on current version of hardware you have to be programmer to prepare QGC for Herelink.

Siyi MK15 (firmware 3.xx)
pros:

• general build quality is ok but not great similar to Herelink
  • heavier than Herelink but also has bigger battery working longer than Herelink
  • USB-C fast charging
  • compatible with airpixel.cz entire (I didn’t check this)
  • straight forward traditional SBUS control
  • 2 wheels, 2 three ways switches and many 2 ways buttons with information about state

cons:

• Video link with camera connected by HDMI is not smooth 25 fps is more like 10-15 frames per second
  • Buggy software from SiYi for example battery info doesn’t work on Siyi Video app
  • You need special fast charging USB-charger for charging
  • not so popular so information about it is limited mainly to this forum
  • no firmware updates for older versions of MK15 (firmware 3.xx)
  • complicated procedure of firmware update
  • Standard QGC lacks many features it is hard to configure it. You need programming skills to change it.

For now I am on beginning of testing of this 2 controllers and I don’t see huge difference in range of their link.

What is your experience with Herelink and Siyi MK12 ? Do you have similar feelings ? Did anyone tested other transmitters ? There is MK32 from Siyi (I read somewhere that it’s getting hot during use) , also Skydroid H16,H30, T20 Chinowing, Best TX . But it looks like there is no any tests in internet from users of this equipment :frowning:

1 Like

Thanks for sharing you experiences with the MK15, its too bad its not “perfect”.

I went for a slightly different approach with the Siyi HM30.

With the Siyi HM30 you can use any RC controller and pass its Sbus through to the air unit.

This has its pros and cons.

pros:
Can use any combination of USB, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or Ethernet, there are lots of options depending on the use needed.
Well built, and very large battery that seems to last quite a while ( haven’t charged in 3 days using on/off)
Allow you to chose you RC controller of preference.

Cons:
A bit of programming required for each different setup depending on if using MP, QGC, SIYI, ect.
Requires some converters for telemetry on radios.
Ground unit connectors are meant for in air use ( not sure why not use standard connectors instead of all the adapters.)

Tristan.

1 Like