GPS testing - how to reduce reception?

I’m experimenting with dual GPS (2 x Here) on a black Cube running 3.6.4 ChiBIOS.

I figured to test with different settings of GPS_AUTO_SWITCH I could cover a GPS to reduce the reception. I can’t get this to work. I fully enclosed one GPS with two layers of aluminum foil, and I put the other GPS in a metal pot with the lid on. There’s almost no difference to the reported sat count and HDOP when they’re enclosed in metal. Maybe sat count drops by 1-2 eventually.

See attached pic of the setup and MP screenshot after several minutes with both GPSs covered.

What am I missing here? I expected the sat count to immediately drop to zero when I enclose a GPS in metal.

Capture

you could try setting an RC input channel to rcN_option = 65 (GPS Disable), but I don’t know whether that would disable one gps or both.
The other option, to check your parameters (but not your specific hardware setup) is to use SITL, which has some options to disable GPS1 or GPS2 independently (http://ardupilot.org/dev/docs/using-sitl-for-ardupilot-testing.html#testing-gps-failure).

1 Like

I work in a steel building and don’t get gps inside it even cell signal. try finding some steel that will do the trick. my phone also struggles with gps inside of a car unless its close to a window. you could try that as well but I know a steel building definitely blocks signals.

Hi, I’m testing gps failure with pixhawk2.1 and arducopter V3.6.9. I can’t find the parameter for RC input channel to disable gps. Can you tell me how to do this?

Just pick a channel that’s available, for instance 7.
Then set RC7_Option to 65

RCn_Option parameter is not available in Arducopter, but Arduplane. Do you know how to do it with Arducopter?

Definitely a copter option too.
I’ll be honest and admit I haven’t flown a stable release in some time, but it’s available on Master.

Thanks James. And you are right. It is listed in the complete parameter list in arducopter wiki. But I can’t find it in my full parameter list. I get only, i.e. for RC1
RC1_DZ
RC1_MAX
RC1_MIN
RC1_REVERSED
RC1_TRIM

can’t find RC1_OPTION though. any suggestions?

You basically need to choose between 3.6.9, or moving to Master for this specific test.

Regards,

James

1 Like