GPS: No Fix and Motor test not working

What is your plan for the test flight? Launch an Auto Mission from Mission Planner to Take-off to X altitude, Hover for a bit and land?

Hi Dave,

Yes exactly that. I don’t even need for it to go extremely high, maybe 2m or even less for something like 10/15 seconds if possible then land. I was thinking to use the flight plan tab

You better plan on setting a Motor Emergency Stop switch on the Aux Function Tab. If things go sideways that will return it to earth rapidly.

1 Like

Hi Dave,

Thank you. Is this mentioned on the motor settings link you sent earlier? Also, if it’s not possible to get an RC, should I just update the bdshot if it’s not there and set those default parameters for this specific kit for the best possible chances?

No. Typically this is done with a switch assignment on the RC Transmitter but you don’t have one. So, it can be assigned on the Aux Functions Tab in Mission Planner snd activated by pressing the “high” button. Not ideal as by time you get to that Tab from the Actions Tab you will be flying from it could be too late. Better than nothing though.
Yes, update the firmware and set those parameters, then use Motor Test.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for clarifying. I will definitely set it before I try to fly it. It doesn’t interfere with flying does it? In the sense that if I try to set that button before flying I can’t do it or I have to do it after?

Since you are starting out flying with Mission Planner you should practice in the Simulator before making a real flight. What you are planning is risky so you need to know how these functions work. Believe me when I say panic can set in when unexpected things happen and a cool head is required to take proper action. With a Transmitter you have switches at hand. Mission Planner you will be fumbling around with a mouse, track pad or keyboard.
Simulation
Click the Simulation Tab, then the Multirotor graphic at the bottom, then Stable. From here all you need to do is go to the Full Parameters List and select 1 for FRAME_TYPE and write it. All other parameters can remain at default and it will fly a Mission. You will be using the Actions Menu to command it.

Don’t ask a lot of question about the Simulator until you have tried it, tried it some more, and figured things out on your own or this thread could go on forever with the minutiae of how to run the Simulator. You just have to do it.

1 Like

Hi Dave,

This is very helpful thank you. I wasn’t aware you can simulate a test flight with my current parameters. Of course I understand, I will try the simulation myself before asking any questions. It would’ve been a lot easier with an RC but I guess I’ll have to do with out it.

Don’t try that at first you will be screwing around for a long time trying to get that to work. Use the default parameters like I said and learn the basic functionality.

Hi Dave,

I see. I assumed that with my current set parameters that would be able to tell me if a practical flight is possible or if something would go wrong.

I’m sure that is possible, see here.
SITL
This thread would not be where you would post questions about Simulation. Start a new thread for that.

Or, you can find an RC System and get flying.

You will spend an inordinate amount of time trying to craft a realistic/useful simulation in the way it seems you expect. Abandon that thought. Fly your copter (with an RC controller, and follow the tuning guide(s)).

Hi Dave,

Thank you. Yeah, if I can I will use an RC system since it’s more sensible but may not be an option.

Hi Yuri_Rage,

It’s not confirmed I can get an RC system yet, but I will try to see if they have any available on Monday to use. Could you please link the tuning guide if I can get one?

Suggest to your Supervisor (is this a school Prof?) that the department buy a Radiomaster Pocket Tx and a Radiomaster RP1 V2 Rx. ~$85 This is the cheapest way to get into an EdgeTx ELRS RC System I think.
It could be cheaper than the repair bill after crashing that X500.

Oli linked it earlier:

Hi Dave,

Yes this is a school professor. I will suggest this to them. You’re right, I’m also running out of time as it’s meant to be done by 31st the latest. I just hope the tuning process isn’t long as it saves time.

Hi Jan,

Thank you for reminding me of this!

1 Like

You’ll probably find at some point that it’s good enough. Don’t skip ahead - that’s a good way to crash. But if you carefully follow the steps through the initial flights and filter enabling, you may find it’s good enough to get you through the project without fine tuning further.

I wouldn’t trust it to fly very far or high in that state, but your stated goal is a pretty low bar.

Hi Yuri_Rage,

Thank you. Yes my standard is fairly low, as it will only really be flown indoors hopefully move freely without the extra payload and at least hover with payload. If worst case, there’s no way to get an RC, I’m planning on using the X500V2 default parameters and checking the bdshot firmware, would this be the best alternative?