GPS: No Fix and Motor test not working

Yea, he was kind of caught in a nested loop of problems.
BLHeli_S
FC with an IOMCU
Main outputs assigned to motors.
Bdshot.

The next step just adds to that:
Flash Bluejay
Flash BDshot target to FC
Configure for Bdshot.

Flowchart!!

1 Like

Hi Dave,

Thank you for clarifying this. I will try to read up on the documents posted to this thread and try not to miss these parameters as you were right in I overlooked a fair amount probably.

It’s understandable @Sold . You are not the first to encounter these exact same set of challenges.

Hi Dave,

It is overwhelming at times seeing so many parameters to set and learning what they mean and their functions and consequences of entering the wrong ones.

ArduPilot succeeds in having massive configurability and flexibility - something lacking in some of the other usual firmware variants.

But where the other variants often do better is user friendly configuration. Betaflight, for example, does an excellent job of abstracting away much of the frustration. I’ve only used it a couple of times and had very few issues getting it up and running. But it’s kind of a one-trick pony. If you aren’t interested in pure FPV-style flying, have a unique physical configuration, or want a high degree of autonomy, you won’t get there with BF.

Read all of this, step by step: Mandatory Hardware Configuration — Copter documentation
Then go through this: First Flight with Copter — Copter documentation

Even if you think a section doesn’t apply to you–read it anyways. There’s a trove of information in the wiki. If you struggle to understand something, keep on reading and come back to it later.

When you feel like you understand more than 50% of it, start at step one again, and this time configure your drone.

And when you feel somewhat comfortable with the workings of Ardupilot, you can fully dive in and properly tune your drone with this: How to methodically tune (almost) any multicopter using ArduCopter 4.4.x

Ardupilot has a very steep learning curve, but just push ahead and it will start making sense at some point. Also just randomly read through the forum! Lots of unsorted information contained here as well.

2 Likes

Hi Yuri_Rage,

I wasn’t aware if there were many other software especially for autonomous flight only. I knew that there is QGroundControl, however I don’t think that gave the option of autonomous flight and was only RC option hence why I switched to mission planner since I can’t use an RC.

Hi Oli,

Thank you for these links. I will definitely read them for a better understanding and for the future if I get stuck again.

I wasn’t suggesting you make a change. I was suggesting that ArduPilot’s “competitors” do a few things better (and a lot of things worse).

What’s this about not using an RC?

Hi Yuri_Rage,

Of course yes I knew what you meant. I didn’t really know ArduPilot had competition since I haven’t heard about any of them before.

Hi Dave,

It’s a project and it’s meant to be an autonomous drone controlled from mission planner. I’m meant to get it to hover at a certain altitude and then land for this project.

As an end goal that’s fine but you generally need an RC system to properly configure and tune the craft.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for clarifying that. To properly configure and tune the craft with an RC does that for it to fly properly and if I did use an RC for proper tuning would that help to fly autonomously if I tuned it with an RC but didn’t actually use it?

Yes. You really cannot perform the required actions with just a ground station. But, a Ground Station is sufficient to run an Auto Mission once it’s configured and tuned. However, it’s a good idea to have an RC system as Backup to take manual control when things go wrong. And things go wrong…

Hi Dave,

I suggested that as well, but the teacher insists on it being an autonomous drone as it’s for communications in carrying a base station on the drone. I had a feeling that an RC would be needed for proper configuration. I’m just hoping it’s enough for it to hover for a certain amount of time as I don’t plan to have other movements such as roll, pitch or yaw.

Describe the components on the craft (motors, flight controller, props, battery power) and it’s take-off-weight (w/ battery) and we can suggest a starting point.

Hi Dave,

Right now there is no base station on top, it’s just the drone and trying to get it to hover.

It’s this kit: Holybro X500 V2 Quadcopter PX4 Development Kit - Flying Tech

Using this battery: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-high-capacity-battery-6600mah-64s-12c-drone-lipo-pack-xt60.html?wrh_pdp=1&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_gb_shopping&countrycode=GB&srsltid=AfmBOor-7G3QZn7olSOymLerKgx4eacoBbVcWoppcz-V0ZurHJWGC3_3eEY

This battery weighs more than the previous 4000mah 4s 14.8V battery. The 4000mah was 0.48kg and the new one I’m using right now is 0.6kg.

I also have the Mateksys 3901-L0X optical flow.

Good to see a decent kit of parts. That’s a pretty heavy battery for that craft. You better weigh everything for a total weight including it and we can determine what the thrust/weight will be. It’s critical this is not too far off of 2:1 on the high side.
One good thing is there is a set of parameters available in Mission Planner for the X500V2. This will make it more likely it will initially fly.

What do mean by “base station on top”? I guess some payload that you will want to include in the overall weight.

Hi Dave,

Yes the original 4000mah battery was faulty as one cell wouldn’t charge so we had to buy this 6600mah new one which unfortunately does weigh more.

We weighed each component individually, but the total weight including the payload (base station) was around 2220g this is slightly rounded up and is likely that it weighs less than this.

Ah right, what parameters are those that are specific to this kit?