GPs Glitches Help me understand them

Hi Ricky,
Just want to share my experience with Gps problem:

1. I got very good gps signal reception when I install much higher than everything else on the frame.
  2. Bad telemetry/Rx receiver or Vtx could interfere Gps signal. So I install it as far as possible with those electronics.
  3. Now I always use dual gps to have redundancy, so that I can have peace of mind during flying.
  4. As far as there is no intereference signal (from surrounding area), I almost never get gps glitch.
  5. What I don’t understand is, one of my drone with dual gps get message: “Gps is not healthy” even though I get 18 satellites 3D locked. While other drone never get any Gps issue.
    Tony

Hey Tony @ton999
Hope all is well with yo and the family is good.
I et good reception with the GPS I have. I average about 16 sat’s and the unit is mounted above all other devices. That said, the RX and VTX are at that end of the machine. I did put shielding over the RX and all teh wires in the rear of the craft. IT had no affect.
The machine Glitches on teh ground when first powered up. I try to arm and glitch. I disarm it clears. I arm it glitches. Disarm it clears. After a minute or so it seems to settle down and then I can fly. But on every other flight I will get a glitch while flying. Most cases it’s not a big deal I just fly through it. But it means it’s not reliable.
I have added a second GPS today. Unfortunate I can’t tell if they are both ulbox so I don’t know if it will work well or not. I will find out tomorrow.
As for your issue of unhealthy GPS…thats really weird. Sorry man I have no clue. Hardware I am great at, the firmware…not so much.

So this morning I got to the filed to do a few test flights.
First the vibrations.
With the new FC mount, replaced motor and new props.
This is the result.
This is before the change

This is after the change.

The other thing I did was added the second GPS. So I can say that today I had no GPS glitches.
I did get one EKF variance for a second but that was it and it cleared quickly.
I am still going to order new GPS. I suspect that these are just crappy GPS.
One thing of note…The last to arm and take off’s produced no downloadable logs. The list is empty each time I try to grab them.

1 Like

Nice job on the vibrations!

Thanks man.
Thing is…honestly I don’t really know what good vibrations is versus bad.

That’s definitely good - even your “before” graph was probably OK provided there was no clipping.
As always less vibrations is good, at least in the multirotor world!

Awesome thanks Shawn and yes no clipping.

Hi, happy for you that dual gps made your glitches go away.
I had another successful flight tonight. 2.7km loitering around up to 30km/h speed during some sprints and no sign of glitches, so happy :slight_smile:
In high speed, 10m/s, I have vibration about 10 to 15 and in 5m/s speed vibration are in the range of 5 to 10. 10m/s is slightly less than half throttle to the motors

Hey Patrick.
So glad to hear your having good success with the new GPS. I have it on my to do list to order a couple to replace the glitchy ones I have.
As for the vibrations your having, They are close to what I am experiencing. So frustrating to get them down into a good range. I am in general below 10m/s/s but still higher then I would like.
Are they causing you any issues. Any clipping.

Have never seen clipping before a flight this weekend. Was extremely windy and vibration was in the range 20-30 for two axis during a period and at that time I got an increasing clipping0, ended at 75. But no glitches and no strange flying behavior. In general vibration have given me most problems within my video recording. But I bought a GoPro hero 8 during spring and that made a big difference. As I have a wooden frame I know it’s a challenge to get low vibration values so if I can stay around 10m/s2 or below I’m happy.
I think my next step will be to have another look at my props and make sure I don’t have anything that can wobble around. Also have a look at those filters, flying with stock filter settings now

i have seen plenty of GPS glitch issues with 433mhz radios and active USB ports (like on the Navio2, the onboard GPS can be a pain)…both of them have contributed to having to either move to 915mhz or adding a 2nd GPS (not onboard)…I was even able to duplicate these issues at will and verify the noise increase on GNSS unit using uBlox…