GPs Glitches Help me understand them

PCB is 50x50mm, approx 10mm thick.
I have printed a ABS box for it and on my 10" prop quad it fits pretty good.

You up for sharing the file.
I think I might go the same way.

Yea no problem, you might want to tweak it a little.
You want the print files or CAD files, or both? I made it in Fusion 360

The cad…or STL is fine. I can tweak if needed.
I just need to deal with this glitch issue. I had an RTL the other day that had a glitch a few feet off the ground. IT nearly hit a small building. Not that the building would have suffered but the drone would have gotten bruised up a bit. I have had 4 crashes so far with this thing. I am trying to beat out the bugs.

Yea I know how that is, have been struggling with that for a long time too.
Every flight before had at least a few glitches some barely noticeable some major. Just two flights tested yet but not glitches at all so far. I will pack the files and share.

Thanks man.
I am wondering if this is part of my problem.
I have high Y axis vibrations as well as highish X axis. At least I think they are high.
Honestly not sure what other people see on their machines.

I have had quit similar to your results until I added the two sidebars to stiffen the frame. I had a crash two weeks ago that made me fix some stuff and today it looked really good.

Mostly hovering but I can see a tight relation between speed and vibration so I might still have something loose on the frame that’s rattling when speeding below is the other flight today were I also added speed

I don’t have the option of the side bars…
I have the flight controller. Pixracer on a plastic mount that sits on Kyosho Zeal Gel Tape. But why Kyosho is a great absorber, its not cutting it this time. I am not so concerned with the X axis, but the Y Axis is to high in my opinion. If I could get them down to that the X axis I suspect I would see a major improvement in GPS performance and of tuning.
I just can’t get this figured out. Will look at it again today.

Its probably multiple factors that make this happen. I want to think that a good GPS will be a good starting point.
I hope you get it resolved, here comes the stl files. I will send the CAD files tomorrow.

Are your values while hovering or are you cruising around?

This was in hover.
I had just rebuilt it after a crash…ESC burst in flames and the fire followed it all the way to the ground lol.
So I rebuilt it and this was the start of testing. I am having to redo the Auto Tune this week, but first need to get the voltage and current sensors tweaked. Thats what caused the RTL on the last flight.
Glitch in the middle of the RTL resulted in a crash. The crash I think was my fault…but the Glitch caused the bird to get close to a building.
So looking at everything.

Understand I can keep you informed how it continues for me. Right now it feels like the new GPS have given me some extra margin. Time will tell :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well this morning I replaced the FC mount with a different style that has a wider base. I then used 4 pieces of Kyosho one in each corner instead of one big piece in the middle.
I checked all wires for something tight to the controller or rubbing against the controller. Tied anything loose down.
Found a bec that had come loose and was able to bounce around. Hot glued that down.
Checked the prop balance again. Found one in need of balancing. But only slightly.

I replaced a Xenon strobe with an LED strobe (orientation) .Not for vibration but because I saw it causing weird VCC performance on the pixracer. Also added a capacitor across the power outputs of the RC receiver because thats where the LED strobe is plugged in.

IF the rain ever stops I will get to the field and give her a try.Or I am going to learn to fly in an Ark.

Speaking of problems with the GPS, for some months in the small park near my house where I usually do test flights I see about half of the satellites I was used to seeing, both with the beitian bn-880 and with the Matek M8Q. With this new NEO-M9N I only see 16, I am convinced that if I do a test out of town I should see about 30, like Patrick.
What could it be? Perhaps some installation of new radio links near the park? What types of radio links could interfere with GPS?

Similar here.
All of a sudden I get 1/2 the satellites I used to… All summer been this way. And, my phone GPS loses reception, too. I live sort of behind a big hardware store and walmart… and w/out a doubt it’s something w/ them. My phone GPS stops working directly behind the stores.

I average about 16 sat’s where I fly…but I have noticed weird behaviors in my drone and others that fly at the club I belong to…Sudden Mag anomalies…I have noticed there is a large cell tower about a mile away. I know that 433mhz radio signal can have a detrimental affect on GPS performance. So It’s possible your seeing the same.

I flew with someone recently who had a EU ~800Mhz VTX at 1w. Completely destroyed any GPS signal I had - 0 sats the whole time it was on.

Hey Andy.
That sounds pretty sucky. I wonder what can be done to improve on GPS performance.

@wicked1 @rickyg32 @andyp1per thanks for the feedback, I was starting to think I was getting paranoid :slight_smile:

Just because your paranoid doesn’t mean someone isn’t out to get you lol

1 Like