GPS Fly Away

Hi all,

I looked on this forum and I didn’t see anybody with the same issue.

My APM copter flies great in ALT HOLD, STABILIZE, SIMPLE, etc. However, when I turn on LOITER, it will sit for about 1 or 2 seconds making minor corrections, and then flies away like it’s getting paid to do so! It doesn’t always go in the same direction…usually random. At this point I have to take it out of LOITER mode because it won’t really respond to my stick inputs.

I’ve tried two different GPS units: UBLOX NEO 6M, and currently UBLOX LEA-6H with external compass. Everything is calibrated properly. I tested the compass through Mission Planner and the result was well within the acceptable level of electrical interference (<3%).

I let the copter sit outside for about 5 minutes. Got 11 satellites, with HDOP around 1.3 or something like that.

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I’ve already run out of hair to pull from my head!

Thank you in advance.

@Post GPS Fly Away,
What ArduCopter firmware are you using?
This might be a firmware issue and not a hardware issue.
I suggest that you provide tlogs and/or data flash logs of this issue to help with troubleshooting it.
Regards,
TCIII GM

[quote=“TCIII”]@Post GPS Fly Away,
What ArduCopter firmware are you using?
This might be a firmware issue and not a hardware issue.
I suggest that you provide tlogs and/or data flash logs of this issue to help with troubleshooting it.
Regards,
TCIII GM[/quote]

Thanks for the quick response.

I’m using the latest, which I believe is V3.1.5. I will try to get in a flight after work tomorrow and upload the logs. In the meantime, How much PID tuning should I expect to do for the GPS? I’ve already cut most of the values down by 50% and it seems a little better, but is this something that I should have to do?

Thanks again!

Did you set the compass roll to 180?