GPS/Compass Placement on Rover

I’m building my first rover with a Pixhawk and somewhere in one of the wiki’s I read that the GPS should be mounted high with a clear view of the sky. I was planning on mounting the GPS as far forward on a Traxx as I could, but under the plastic shell. Will I have any issues with this approach?

@dksmall,
I have built Traxxas 4WD Slash Rovers and I have always mounted the GPSs as far from the mid mounted brushless motor as possible.
For my dual GPS configurations I mounted the primary GPS between the front bumper and the front body/shock support tower on the Slash and the secondary GPS between the rear body/shock support tower and the rear bumper.
I would not mount the GPS on a tower whatever you do because the first time you roll your rover, and you will, you can kiss your GPS goodbye.
Regards,
TCIII AVD

Well I’m doing a single GPS with a 2WD, so I shouldn’t have a problem being far away from that rear mounted motor. My concern here is using the shell, when the text said “clear view of the sky”. If the GPS is under the shell then it won’t have a clear view of the sky, unless what’s really meant here is a clear electrical view without any creating electrical interference.

@dksmall,
Being under the clear shell should not affect GPS performance as I have done so myself. However if you decide to paint the shell, do not use a metallic pain.
Regards,
TCIII AVD

Ah, good suggestion on the metallic paint, I’ll make sure I don’t use anything like that.

Thanks!