Gimbal... use rate control when locked?

Gimbal lock mode always centers on the same heading it was when armed. So if my target is not in the same heading as when I armed, I have to hold the stick to center the target. I mostly use follow mode with rc angle control, and I really don’t want to have to use telemetry/MP to control it. I also use a switch to toggle between follow and lock.

What I was hoping to do is either 1) auto switch between rc rate control while in lock mode and rc angle control when in follow mode, or 2) use rc angle control for both modes but have ardupilot keep the camera pointed on it’s existing heading when I switched to lock mode. 2b) an acceptable compromise might be use angle mode for both and point the camera “forward” initially when entering lock mode.

For me 1 would be ideal. 2 would not be all that bad other than having to deal with angle control in lock mode (lock is already autopilot if you will… feels more natural with rate mode). 2b would be not that great, but workable; I’d have to first point the vehicle to the target before entering lock mode.

FWIW I’m using a Kakute H7 and a yaw/pitch servo gimbal.

Any help/advice on accomplishing what I’m after is much appreciated.

On a side note, the gimbal config page still isn’t working with the latest MP. I like the default stabilization config (pitch only in my case, but I assume includes roll if I had that), but I was wondering how I would turn pitch stab off if it wasn’t desired? There doesn’t seem to be any parameters for mount stabilization, other than follow/lock all axis.

[edit: Just realized since I’m using my tx16s throttle stick (no spring centering) to control mount pitch, I’m not sure 1 would work for me anyways.]

After rethinking due to the pitch stick having no spring centering, I think I need to stick to angle control for everything (unless angle and rate can be done per axis, which doesn’t appear to be possible for now). That pretty much means I need to have a way to modify the heading used in lock mode (without MP). I’d be happy if upon entering lock mode, it uses the heading the vehicle is currently pointed towards. I’m running out of rc channels, but might be able to free one up if I could use it to adjust the lock heading somehow.