Gimbal Control Directly from Flight Controller

Hello guys,

I’ve been reading about ArduPilot for long time and have plans to build a drone for learning how everything works. One thing that I want to ask about is whether it is conceivably possible to have the flight controller also control a gimbal, using the same attitude estimation mechanism that is already being used to stabilize the drone.

That is, if we mount a gimbal with 3 motor controllers that react to PWM inputs for position or speed control, can we modify ArduPilot (let’s say for a quadcopter) to also output 3 additional PWM signals for the gimbal and somehow include this in code? I could see that this could be directly proportional to the pitch/roll/yaw outputs of the attitude controller.

For example, we know that we are -10 degrees on the roll axis of the drone, we command the gimbal to go +10 degrees on it’s roll axis, and so forth.

Since cameras are getting better and with fast capture, like 1/1000 shutter on Sony cameras, maybe this type of gimbal would be sufficient to reduce cost and hardware to avoid having to buy something bigger, heavier, and more expensive, like a Gremsy, but still enough to capture good results for photogrammetry.

Can anyone comment about whether this might be feasible?

Thanks.

Like this?
Servo gimbal

If you want good performance with low cost I would recomend a Storm32 DIY gimbal. It is supported by Ardupilot and can do the things you want. However, it requires effort to get that performance.

Here is the wiki of the gimbal: STorM32-BGC Wiki
And here of Ardupilot: STorM32 Gimbal Controller — Copter documentation

Hi @dkemxr

Yes, this looks actually like what I want to do, except with a BLDC gimbal instead of servos. I guess I didn’t search for the right terms because I didn’t see it yet. Thank you for your help.

Do you know if anyone has had good (or at least decent) luck with this strategy?

@Iker_Martinez I appreciate your reply as well. With the Storm32, it still requires a totally separate controller though, as I understand, and my goal would be to have the flight controller do all of the processing and just output PWM signals to a gimbal that is just motors and motor controllers. Does that make sense?

No direct experience but it’s more common to use a gimbal controller.