Geofence limits short

I was going to fly a mission with my X8, using ROI, which would take me out about 138 meters, according to the Mission Planer map. So I set the fence limit to 175 m to be on the safe side.

Mission starts out fine, but I get to near the farthest point and Failsafe RTL is triggered, distance to home shows 140 meters.

It was a fresh battery, good voltage, nothing unusual, so suspect it tripped for fence breach.

Maybe this is actually a 3.1 bug, but I’ll start by posting here.

Logs included.

The auto portion starts a little before 08:03

David, Please read this section of the wiki copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … sing-logs/ and determine that you do not have a configuration error or a misunderstanding of what is happening.

I posted this on the X8 forum, but I think it really fits here.

I have the same problem on my X8 and IRIS.

I had been running fence limits at 50m height and 75m radius, but strated to need to go further out.

I made a flight plan which took me about 138 m away at 40m altitude, so opened the radius limit to 175 to be on the safe side.

Started the auto run, and everything like clockwork until I reached the fartherst point on my route, where it switched to FAILSAFE and immeditately started an RTL. NextWPDist shows 140m to home, so far from the 175m for the fence.

I planed a seconf fligh to 100m altitude… set the fence ceiling limit to 150 (I think), but barely reched the 100 m and another Failsafe RTL.

The first two logs are for radius breach the last two are for altitude breach

Thanks

Looks to me like the RTL during the AUTO was caused by battery failsafe, rather than the fence. In both logs, during the AUTO section, you see ERR 6,1 followed by the RTL.

Craig - this has been double posted. I answered in his other thread sigh

Strange. In both cases I had only been flying a couple of minutes with fresh batteries and the voltage level is still good 11.2V 87%

On my video I notice that there is a twitch in the movement… I thought it was the change from auto to RTL doing that. Maybe it’s the other way around, some glitch is triggering battery failsafe.

I tested battery failsafe not too long ago (last week) which is set for 10,2V and 7560mah, and it is be set to “Land”, not RTL.

So by the looks of it, it is reporting a wrong error number. So two bugs.

6,1 is battery failsafe, yes. I suspect that the issue is caused by your capacity, as it occurs as the maH value crosses 840 - so maybe some unit confusion somewhere? I can’t easily test at the moment.

PARM, BATT_CAPACITY, 8400.000

As to why it changed to RTL, it seems in AUTO it ignores the specified failsafe and does this instead:

case AUTO:
                // set mode to RTL or LAND
                if (home_distance > wp_nav.get_waypoint_radius()) {
                    if (!set_mode(RTL)) {
                        set_mode(LAND);
                    }
                }else{
                    set_mode(LAND);
                }
                break;

so thats probably why you ended up in RTL. In other modes it checks the failsafe_battery_enabled type to either RTL or LAND (or LAND in the case RTL mode selection fails).

// set mode to RTL or LAND
                    if (g.failsafe_battery_enabled == FS_BATT_RTL && home_distance > wp_nav.get_waypoint_radius()) {
                        if (!set_mode(RTL)) {
                            set_mode(LAND);
                        }
                    }else{
                        set_mode(LAND);
                    }

Why its written that way, I’m not sure.

[color=#004000]I have joined the topics together now.
Please refer to forum rules, section 3![/color] [color=#FF0000]Do not double or cross post![/color]
[color=#004000]If you feel that your post was in the wrong subforum, use the “report this topic” function and ask the moderators to move your topic to the appropriate forum![/color]

[quote=“StefanG”][color=#004000]I have joined the topics together now.
Please refer to forum rules, section 3![/color] [color=#FF0000]Do not double or cross post![/color]
[color=#004000]If you feel that your post was in the wrong subforum, use the “report this topic” function and ask the moderators to move your topic to the appropriate forum![/color]
[/quote]

OK, Thanks!

OK thanks Rick

OK, I solved my problem!

For FS_BATT_MAH I put the value consumed to be for FS (7560 mah). The documentation says you put the amount remaining here, so I should put 840 here!

Not that intuitive… but now I know.

Thanks for your direction.

Sorry, new to the forum, got it now.