Funding for Weekly dev call chair person [Withdrawn]

Topic:Funding for Craig Elder for running the weekly dev call including publishing agenda and minutes

Proposal type : administration

Description: Fund Craig Elder for running the weekly dev call including publishing the agenda and publishing notes taken during the meeting. The meetings tend to be 2 to 2.5hrs per week, 4 or 5 times per month.

Administration tasks including this one are important to keeping the team running smoothly but it is not something that we have an easy time finding volunteers to do - at least not consistently and for a long period of time. For this reason it is a good use of the ArduPilot funds.

Craig has been doing this task reliably for a long time without any funding, in Randy’s view, it’s time we start funding this effort.

Planned amount $$ (USD):$500/month for 1 year meaning a total of $6k USD.

4 Likes

The minutes are really great for for interested observers to follow what’s going on in development, especially for those in timezones that make tuning into the actual call difficult. Thanks Craig :slight_smile:

+1 Sounds like a good use of funds if they are available.

I fully support this, I think it’s a good use of our funds, and that running the weekly calls is something that is suitable to be funded.

No dispute that this is an appropriate function to be funded - but I’d suggest that most of us don’t have sufficient awareness of context from which to provide an informed comment.
It would be good for the community to know which functions are funded internally through contributed project funds, which are directly supported by ArduPilot Partners, and which rely on volunteers. Armed with that information it might be easier to see which functions currently staffed by volunteers are involved/demanding enough that they should be supported by a stipend or the like (ie shepherding Devs through a conference call), and/or which functions need more volunteers!

1 Like

I’ve withdrawn this proposal 'cuz I think we have an alternative plan to take some of the workload off of Craig’s shoulders. Happy to re-open this if I’ve misunderstood something.