FrSky telemetry with smartport

Hello everybody,

I just wanted to share a little tip that is not present in this page
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … telemetry/

So the problem here is to feed the FrSky receiver with the telemetry feed from the ardupilot.

While it is fairly easy to do with receivers such as D4R-II or D8R-XP equiped with the old FrSky telemetry protocol, it might look like it is not possible to do it (yet) with receivers equiped with smartport such as the X8R.

In fact it is very easy to do it if you use the FrSky variometer sensor to convert the old telemetry protocol to the smartport protocol, the only cons is that you won’t get the altitude from your APM but from the variometer, all the other datas will come from your flight controler.

To connect the FUL-1 to the variometer sensor, all you have to do is connect the Rx from the FUL-1 to the data out of the variometer sensor and the Tx to the data in.

Now I wanted to go a step further, seeing that smartport is only the same protocol as the old one except Tx and Rx are on the same wire (or at least I suppose so when I look at this document google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= … WU&cad=rja ), I tried to put a diode from the Tx of the FUL-1 to the Rx and connect it directly to the smartport of the X8R but it doesn’t work.
I think the only problem here is that the APM code is confused when it gets the data it sent to the receiver back in Rx, I suppose a simple software adaptation would allow us to use FrSky smartport using only a diode and the FUL-1.

Anyway, I hope this will help people.

Oh btw, I recommend to NOT connect the ground between the FUL-1 and the variometer sensor to avoid a ground loop, the ground is already connecter via the SBUS cable.

On that same subject… I got this and it works great
droneshop.biz/taranis-mavlin … apter.html

He’s also working on this nice script for the Taranis. Really slick :wink:
youtube.com/watch?v=xWRNhiJ1BNk

[quote=“NEVdD”]Hello everybody,

I just wanted to share a little tip that is not present in this page
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common … telemetry/

So the problem here is to feed the FrSky receiver with the telemetry feed from the ardupilot.

While it is fairly easy to do with receivers such as D4R-II or D8R-XP equiped with the old FrSky telemetry protocol, it might look like it is not possible to do it (yet) with receivers equiped with smartport such as the X8R.

In fact it is very easy to do it if you use the FrSky variometer sensor to convert the old telemetry protocol to the smartport protocol, the only cons is that you won’t get the altitude from your APM but from the variometer, all the other datas will come from your flight controler.

To connect the FUL-1 to the variometer sensor, all you have to do is connect the Rx from the FUL-1 to the data out of the variometer sensor and the Tx to the data in.

Now I wanted to go a step further, seeing that smartport is only the same protocol as the old one except Tx and Rx are on the same wire (or at least I suppose so when I look at this document google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= … WU&cad=rja ), I tried to put a diode from the Tx of the FUL-1 to the Rx and connect it directly to the smartport of the X8R but it doesn’t work.
I think the only problem here is that the APM code is confused when it gets the data it sent to the receiver back in Rx, I suppose a simple software adaptation would allow us to use FrSky smartport using only a diode and the FUL-1.

Anyway, I hope this will help people.

Oh btw, I recommend to NOT connect the ground between the FUL-1 and the variometer sensor to avoid a ground loop, the ground is already connecter via the SBUS cable.[/quote]
Hi
Sport is indeed not supported yet but indeed you will need to have a diode has it is single wire half duplex connection.

I can sent you a firmware on 3.3dev to test if you want.
M

Please also have a look here:
github.com/diydrones/ardupilot/issues/1587