Free Stuff! Need Help Testing devFrame

What’s best way to diagnose vibration? I’ve got my gimbal with a RunCam5 on it - for the most part its smooth but even with dampeners on the gimbal and image stabilization in the camera it seems I have this very high frequency vibration. I’ve tried default pids and auto tuned values with not much difference. Disclaimer - I haven’t balanced my props yet - will do that this weekend.

Was also wondering if the gimbal would be better off hung under the quad to get it out of the front prop wash?

Yes, I also think that the vibration comes from the mechanical system and not from tuning. Sometimes, you can point your cameras to the tip of the motors and you can see if the arms or body is flexing. I think that the best way to reduce the camera flicker is with a good gimbal dampening. What dampeners are you using?. I remember a gimbal that came with four rubber dampeners and then changed to 6 because they had also vibration problems. Other gimbal have two dampening layers. This is quite a common problem.

Probably mechanical. Could be props or motors(bearings or imbalance) and/or airflow. At this size and budget we are trial and error for dynamics problems like this.

Like Andres mentions you could try more/different dampening on gimbal. If it were me I would start with balancing props just because that’s the cheapest and easiest way to start crossing things off the list (and it’s a good habit); then dampeners; then … up to you.

Thanks for feedback! I think i have some other rubber dampeners floating around here somewhere. Guess they may have different elastic properties which may help.

Yes. The first step should be always reducing the vibration from the origin. Properly balanced props is a must.