Four motor tailsitter with no control surfaces

Hello! I am trying to make a tailsitter quadcopter surrounded by an annular/wing ring. The theory is that the aircraft will have VTOL capabilities when it is acting as a quadcopter, but then rotates about 90 degrees and uses the wing as the lifting surface. In the fixed wing orientation, it would need to use the four motors to provide both the lift and the attitude control. I went through the itnrsutction for the tailsitter planes and also looked through the supported vehicles and did not find this specific architecture. It seems that in every case, when the aircraft is switched to fixed wing mode, all control outputs get automatically changed into control surfaces. Does anyone know if there is a way to make this concept work using the ArduPlane or even the ArduCopter? I will also upload a render of the idea in its fixed wing orientation. Thanks!

Initial_Render_Fixed

1 Like

You could try setting Q_ANGLE_MAX to 9000 to allow pitching over 90 degrees in QSTABLIZE and QHOVER modes. You could also try QACRO mode which will remove all constraints on attitude. All 3 of those modes will use the motors for attitude control.
Have you built a real vehicle yet?

Thanks for the quick response! No, the vehicle has not been built yet. I was just trying to figure out if there was already existing firmware to control it. Those ideas seem like they could pull it off so thank you. I have also heard of source code based on ArduCopter, called ArduVTOL which has worked for a similar concept, just with a planar wing. I’m sure one of these two paths will work!

Good luck. I’m sure you’ve seen the box shaped airframes which also have rudders and elevons.