Forming Copper Stranded Wire

Looking for some advice on how I would go about bending 12 AWG stranded copper wire into a U shape.
It is part of a harness that gimbals, so I’d like to form it to reduce the preload exerted onto the electronics board it’s soldered to.

Stranded wire is intended to bend, so…just bend it…

A few further points:

If you have to bend it so hard as to permanently deform it at sharp angles, you could break some strands.

Thin stranded wire with silicone based insulation tends to be far more pliable than the cheap “automotive” grade stuff you get at big box stores.

If the wire seems strained at its connections, it might help to use slightly longer lengths.

2 Likes

If necessary use more smaller gauge wires - definitely good quality wire like Yuri says.
Instead of a U shape try a circle or coil to allow the movement to be spread along a greater length of wire
Depending on space, or whichever works out better, you could do an internal or external curve, hope my low quality drawing gets across the idea:

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. I found this guide on making formed coiled wire which I might try: https://www.instructables.com/Make-Coiled-Wire/

1 Like