"Follow me" mode on Droidplanner with APM 2.6/2.5

Hi everyone :slight_smile: !
First of all, Iā€™m sorry for the mistakes I may say, English isnā€™t my native language!
Even If Iā€™ve never had any 3DR products, I do have a F330 (quadcopter) from DJI with a Naza m lite controller. But Iā€™m posting this topic today because Iā€™m interested in a new function that (apparently) only APM can offer : the ā€œfollow meā€ mode.
Basically, the Follow me mode is a mode you can find on Droidplanner app (for Tablets), which can work with an APM autopilot (on your copter) if you use a radio telemetry system (connected to your tablet on one side and to your APM on the other side).
But it doesnā€™t seem to be as easy as thatā€¦ and itā€™s a lot of money. Iā€™ve never use any APM autopilot and Iā€™m a little lostā€¦ If any of you know how exactly this telemetry system work and how you can tune it, I would be pleased!
Or if you know if I can use a telemetry system with Nazaā€¦?
Wish you a very good day!
Thanks in advance!

[quote=ā€œcetamadaā€]Hi everyone :slight_smile: !
First of all, Iā€™m sorry for the mistakes I may say, English isnā€™t my native language!
Even If Iā€™ve never had any 3DR products, I do have a F330 (quadcopter) from DJI with a Naza m lite controller. But Iā€™m posting this topic today because Iā€™m interested in a new function that (apparently) only APM can offer : the ā€œfollow meā€ mode.
Basically, the Follow me mode is a mode you can find on Droidplanner app (for Tablets), which can work with an APM autopilot (on your copter) if you use a radio telemetry system (connected to your tablet on one side and to your APM on the other side).
But it doesnā€™t seem to be as easy as thatā€¦ and itā€™s a lot of money. Iā€™ve never use any APM autopilot and Iā€™m a little lostā€¦ If any of you know how exactly this telemetry system work and how you can tune it, I would be pleased!
Or if you know if I can use a telemetry system with Nazaā€¦?
Wish you a very good day!
Thanks in advance![/quote]

The first 2/3 of your posts is just you explaining to us what the 3dr products are capable of.
If i am not wrong your qn is ā€˜If any of you know how exactly this telemetry system work and how you can tune it, I would be pleased!ā€™.

If you were to take the little effort to do your research, you would have stumbled upon this page --> copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/common ā€¦ version-2/

Most of your answers should be answered here. In the case they are not, you can get back with me with your specific doubts. The APM boards are not as easy to use as DJI products. They do require the user to read up and do their research (not really required for basic flying). As such, i would highly recommend that you learn to crawl before you start to walk. i.e. get the craft flying in basic controls in stabilise mode (known as manual mode in DJI terminology) with a proper transmitter then gradually work your way up to the ā€˜follow-meā€™ function.

Again, if you have any doubts, no matter how simple the question is, do not hesitate to ask.

Regards,
Kumar

Hello Blackboy,
Thank you for answering me.
It was my fault, my question wasnā€™t clear at all. In fact, I would have liked to know if anybody had ever tried the ā€œfollow meā€ mode on Droidplanner and how well it works.
Sorry for that,
Sincerely

Ah. Now i get what your query is. I have personally not tried it.

What platform are you flying right now?

Actually, Iā€™m not using any platform which can work with a software like Mission Planner (like I said, I only have DJI). But I was thinking to buy the HKpilot Mega 2.7 or HKpilot32 (designed by PX4) from HobbyKing. They are cheaper than APM and are praticly the same (well, thatĀ“s what Iā€™ve understood)ā€¦

They are the same in terms of circuit design but there is no guarantee in terms of QC of the board construction and also the quality of the individual chips.

Nevertheless they are great for making basher quads. You can go ahead and give it a try though.

My platform for Follow me is using DIY quad with a QR X350 shell/body only, QBrain 4xESC and APM2.5. also Tarot 2D / GoProHero3++ black, minim OSB and VideoTX. Nexus7 is one of my GCS

See my Follow Me on Video @
vimeo.com/104361616