Flight Modes Not Changing

Hello all,

I’ve got a PixHawk running that latest 3.0.2 ArduPlane firmware and I’m having trouble with changing flight modes.

I know my radio is configured correctly because I can see the green indicator changing to the different modes in APM Planner 2.0 when I move the switch. But I don’t see any other indication that the mode is actually changing on the PixHawk itself of within APM Planner 2.0— is there any sort of visual indicator?

The status bar up top in APM Planner 2.0 always says “manual”. Should that change when the mode changes? I’ve tried when APM is armed and disarmed, but it doesn’t seem to matter.

Maybe the unit has to be moving before the flight mode will change? Sorry for the newb question, but it’s really got me scratching my head. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

-jim

Nevermind. Figured it out. For some reason APM Planner 2.0 seems to be reading the settings for the UI (the green indicator on the flight mode screen) from RC channel 5 but the default parameter on the PixHawk seems to be set to channel 8. Updated the parameter on the PixHawk to channel 5 and all seems to work.

Mmmm. that doesn’t sound right, i’ll have a look. Thanks for reporting

How did you update that? I’m running into the exact same issue, i can see the mode changing on the flight mode screen but the pixhawk stays on learning, running it on a rover right now.

This statement is incorrect. We detect the mode from the heartbeat message from the autopilot. If the autopilot changes mode, APM Panner 2.0 will show that. If the autopilot does not change mode, AP2 will not show a change.

EDIT - I posted a follow-up questin here but then found the SOLVED label. Will post a separate topic instead.

I just tested and its working for me with ArdfuPlane 3.3 and FLTMODE_CH set to 8

DEBUG 2015-05-23T09:53:46.980 FlightModeConfig:: name: “FLTMODE_CH” value: QVariant(int, 8)

BTW the mode status box on the toolbar changes based on the telemetry information from the data link to the drone, it’s not effected by the the channel you select in anyway.

1 Like

Thank You very much. You are the greatest man. I searched everywhere and unable to find exact solution.
but this save my day. best regards.