Flight modes - Channel mapping

Hi All,

I have purchased pixhawk from 3dr and it’s currently on it’s way to me.
In meanwhile I’m going through different resources trying to find a answer for below question.

I have an Hitec Eclipse 7 RC that under channel 5 has gear switch (two position).
At the same time I have two AUX channels (6 and 7) under which I would like to control Flight modes.
I’m using a ppm sum receiver so obviously won’t be able to to switch those channels by changing pwm connection.
Can you let me know if for ArduCopter there is an option to remap channel 5 (that is used for Flight modes) to either 6 or 7?

Yes you can either use RCmap parameters which can remap PPM SUM channels or you can select a different channel to be the flight mode channel.

Great!
I was afraid that my rc link won’t be suitable.
So those settings are under advanced settings in mission planer. Right?
I wold be also able to map my current 5th channel instead of 6th or 7th?

Sorry I think I led you astray. I checked mission planner when I got home and you can select which of the 8 ppm channels to be roll, pitch, yaw and throttle but not which is the flight mode. This may be a system limitation.

Bummer…
Generally this is a big limitation having those channels hardcoded.
Other Flight Controllers enable the user to customize this.
Also when digging through different ArduCopter threads regarding Flight modes I see that number of people are running into this problem.
Any ideas how I can solve this?
This doesn’t seem as a very complex thing to change within ArduCopter code. I recall that ArduPlane has such setting.

[quote=“esamolocik”]Bummer…
Generally this is a big limitation having those channels hardcoded.
Other Flight Controllers enable the user to customize this.
Also when digging through different ArduCopter threads regarding Flight modes I see that number of people are running into this problem.
Any ideas how I can solve this?
This doesn’t seem as a very complex thing to change within ArduCopter code. I recall that ArduPlane has such setting.[/quote]

You could say the same about radios not setting you change allocations :slight_smile:

I am guessing that is not an option?

[quote=“RabbitStu”]
You could say the same about radios not setting you change allocations :slight_smile:

I am guessing that is not an option?[/quote]

That could be an option, but if you take a look, there are number of radios that have this problem (Hitec, Spektrum, some Futaba, other) .

Also I use my radio with other flight controllers without an issue (Multiwii, KFC, Gluonpilot) and there is an option to allocate channels.
I would assume that ArduCopter should also give the flexibility for users to select channel over which they want to control flight mode.

Those other flight controllers don’t need a flight mode switch. They go up and then come down.

Your more likely to use your Transmitter/Receiver with different units and it should be more flexible since most radios allow multiple configuration you can program into them.

A lot of people use one Transmitter and control a number of different copters/planes/cars.

Mike

Has there been any movement on this?

I have a Spektrum DX7 with a 6 channel OrangeRX PPM receiver connected to the NAVIO+ board. The mode switch is currently mapped to channel 5 (landing gear 2 position switch). I would like to remap my channel 5 to function 7 (Aux I think) for RTL, and map the flight mode function to channel 6 (6 position mix on my DX7)

I have tried modifying the switches.cpp file (by mapping the g.rc_5.radio_in to the aux_con.CH7_flag and changing the channel 5 switch_position g.rc_5.radio_in, to g.rc_6.radio_in) with no effect as far as APMPlanner2 is concerned. Where is the best place to make this code modification?

[quote=“rclendan”]Has there been any movement on this?

I have a Spektrum DX7 with a 6 channel OrangeRX PPM receiver connected to the NAVIO+ board. The mode switch is currently mapped to channel 5 (landing gear 2 position switch). I would like to remap my channel 5 to function 7 (Aux I think) for RTL, and map the flight mode function to channel 6 (6 position mix on my DX7)

I have tried modifying the switches.cpp file (by mapping the g.rc_5.radio_in to the aux_con.CH7_flag and changing the channel 5 switch_position g.rc_5.radio_in, to g.rc_6.radio_in) with no effect as far as APMPlanner2 is concerned. Where is the best place to make this code modification?[/quote]

Hi All, I have the same problem as you. After defining the six flight modes like a flower I discovered this drawback of the code.