Flight mode not changing when moving switch

Hello
I am using a RadioMaster T8 light to fly a newly built DIY drone but in the flight mode section I cannot see any changes when switching switch number 7 or 8.
I can see the switches moving on the radio tuning screen but not on the flight modes screen.
The radio and the drone are in Stabilize mode so that is okay, but I would like to add to switch number 7 the option for choosing between Stabilize, ALTHOLD and Loiter.
Can I do this by changing FLTMODE_CH parameter, or should I do something else?

Thanks!

Default is Chan 5 and it looks like those switches are assigned and not changeable and no mixing.

Switches

So, you can use the SA switch to change between 2 modes I suppose. And then configure 6,7 and 8 if you are not using them for additional modes using the RCx_OPTION parameters. For example, if you want Switch SB (chan 6) to be Auto Mode you would set RC6_OPTION, 16 or 70 for AltHold.
The 3 position switches will have to act as 2 position switches.

Note: This has come up before and Lua scripting on the Flight controller was a solution. Assuming your flight controller supports Lua scripting. @Yuri_Rage was The Man behind that!
Flight mode script

1 Like

Is the radio master parameters set correctly? I had something similar before but on channel 5. Which they told me ELRS channel 5 is not setable as a 3 switch toggle.

1 Like

There are no configurable parameters on that radio.

1 Like

Thank you all for your inputs.
I was able to use the RCx_option on channel 7 and 8 with Alt_hold and Loiter respectively, and I can see the modes changing on the data screen when I change the switches positions.

1 Like

Thru the awesomeness of Ardupilot even a $40 radio is serviceable :slight_smile:
Out of curiosity what are the PWM levels on each of the 3 positions of one of the 3-position switches? You can see these on the Radio Calibration screen in Mission Planner.

1 Like

Yes, indeed!
I don t know if you are in charge of some of the software development, but yes, it is great to see there are so many possibilities.
Ch. 7 varies from 1007 to 1982 and gets triggered only in the 3rd position. The second position is at 1495.
Ch. 8 is at 1007 when low and triggers Loiter mode when high at 1982 too.

BTW,
Ardupilot seems to recognize a 9th channel, but the radio only seems to have 8.
Amy ideas of what this could be?

Thanks for the info. To be expected I guess but good to know. For a function to be toggled I think the PWM level has to exceed 1750µs or something around there so w/o a script you can’t take advantage of 3 positions. But hey, you get a few flight modes so that’s good!

No. What receiver are you using and what Bind Mode?

The receiver is a Radiomaster R81 Receiver with 8 channels and uses a D8 signal format and a SBUS output format. It is really nice because it is tiny and only weights 2 grams!

Could it be RSSI? Some radio receivers output a pwm channel for C2 RSSI and you can set up ardupilot to read this and report it back down the telemetry, overlay it on OSD, etc.

2 Likes

I think you are right. From the product description of the V2 version

• RSSI: RSSI on Ch9 of Sbus Output
1 Like