Flight mode change failed (guided)

Hi there!
I need help (:smile:
I have tried doing all sorts of things to try and change the mode to guided so i can control my rover with my raspberry pi
i have the rover indoors and i want to check the code and then take it outside…
because i’m indoors (i belive), i have an unhealthy ahrs.
so i have chaged the following parameters to try and enable the mode switch
ARMING_CHECK = 0
AHRS_GPS_USE = 0
AHRS_EFK_TYPE = 0
FS_EFK_THRESH = 0

and still no luck );
any ideas?
thanks in advance!

@nazuid,

Guided mode requires a position estimate so it will refuse to change to Guided mode without that.

I don’t think changing the AHRS_GPS_USE, AHRS_EKF_TYPE and FS_EKF_THRESH is a good idea actually. I would put those back to the defaults.

EDIT: theoretically at least an RPI could drive the vehicle around using just turn rate and raw throttle outputs. If we supported that then we could relax the criteria for Guided mode. In copter we do this but we have a separate Guided_NoGPS mode… although this name causes endless confusion because people think that this is the mode to use for Non-GPS position estimates (e.g. T265, SLAM, etc).

1 Like

thank you for the reply!!
so no way to do it without proper gps or compass then?

@nazuid,

ArduPilot supports quite a few methods of Non-GPS position estimation so a GPS is not absolutely required… but some method of position estimation is required. Wheel encoders might be a good choice for a rover.

1 Like

I have tried using encoders but it still won’t allow me to switch to guided when gps isn’t fixed…
should it allow me to switch?
what am I doing wrong?