Flies fine for a moment then out of control

There’s two main issues that I’m dealing with.

1. Once I arm the system the idle motors continue to spin after I let go of both sicks (expected) but if I let it idle for 5 seconds (instead of the default 15) the system disarms. Any subsequent arm spins the motors for a fraction of a second then immediately disarms. What’s going on here?

2. I’m in “Stabilize” Simple Mode and if I spin up the motors before the automatic disarm then I can fly and this is where the more serious issue shows up. I hover a little bit to test out some movement but before too long (5-10 seconds) the throttle seems to jump and the drone wants to take off! Fortunately the first time the drone got caught on something. After about 5-10 seconds of this malfunction it shut off. This has been happening over and over again. I have a broom handy so I can shove it between the props then hold it down while it goes seemingly full throttle until auto shutoff. This seems like an auto-level / gyro issue. How can I even troubleshoot this?

You should only arm with one stick unless you are flying a DJI in which case you may have to go elsewhere for help :confused:.
Can you post a short log (not tlog) showing the problem, it should show errors if any and your vibration levels which are often the reason for shooting up.

You can analyse your own log too for vibration following this: http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-measuring-vibration.html
And here’s another page for diagnosing problems: http://ardupilot.org/copter/docs/common-diagnosing-problems-using-logs.html
Have you disabled any of the safety checks?

What do you mean arm with one stick? Also, I’m working on getting that log (swamped with work). I also noticed that I have a yellow blinking lite which supposedly mean there are some pre-arm checks that are failing so I’m surprised I was able to get it to fly at all. I’m willing to bet that the issue lies in the logs. If I find the issue you I’ll post back my success otherwise I’ll post the logs themselves.

The Problem:

• I had the battery failsafe set to RTL
  • The battery voltage was not being detected

I’m surprised I could get it to start at all but on the occasion that I could get it started it would immediately launch into RTL which caused it to lift.

Solution:

Disable failsafes in Mission Planner

I’m sure you mean -

Solution:

Set the failsafes properly in Mission Planner