Flaps go to the max on power up, before arming - 4.0.5

The flaps in my single copter swing all the way to the max, or close to the max position on power up. This damages gears in the servos because flaps hit other parts of the copter.
After I arm the AP, servos go to trim.

What can I change in the setup to make servos go to trim or to a predetermined position on power up?

Have you tried updating to ArduCopter 4.1.3?
Are you sure that updating will not fix the issue?

Unfortunately updating is not an option for me. I have a lot of changes and customization done to the firmware by different people/programmers. After each new version is customized for me it takes almost half a year to make sure all that runs fine. That’s why I can afford to update every two years at the most.
I had to update to 4.0.5 less than a year ago and just now I have confidence that everything works fine for me.
The flap issue came up recently when I changed a frame and noticed that they run into new frame components. Don’t know if it worked the same way in the older versions, but I would think that this should be an easy fix. Just changing PWM numbers for a boot-up?

I believe that this may be a left over from quad-copters, to assure that the motors would not spin. For a single copter the number should be around 1500.
If I could access this parameter from MP and change it there, it would be awesome.

I am afraid that’s the most help you can expect on your “own, heavily customized” firmware.
The next would be to backup, and test with current release.
All I can say, is that I don’t see anything like that on planes or quadplanes.