First setup for a foam plane

Hi all,
I’m planning to to my first ardupilot deploy on my old Multiplex Gemini (it weights around 0,9kg).
My final goal is to first make it fly autonomously with “Mission planner” and then trying some scripted aerobatics, keeping the plane always in line of sight.
I have an old (but gold) 35Mhz crystal radio, so I need a PPM encoder.

I carefully went through arduplane documentation and I selected the hardware configuration below. I would like to know if I did the selection right or I missed something.

Thanks a lot!

Item Part name Link to the specification
Autopilot hardware Matek F405-WING-V2 Flight Controller F405-Wing-V2 – Matek Systems
C2 Datalink Holybro SiK Telemetry Radio V3 SiK Telemetry Radio V3 – Holybro Store
GPS module Matek M10Q-5883 GNSS & Compass, M10Q-5883 – Matek Systems
PPM encoder JHEMCU SPP-SBUS 8CH SPP Converter https://it.aliexpress.com/item/1005005997816109.html?spm=a2g0o.home.0.0.120d6a54q4yPoM&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2ita

Sounds like a cool project :+1:t2:

Unfortunately, the terms “scripted” and “F405” don’t go together well. If you want to do anything with scripting, you need an H743 based FC. Like the Matek H743 WING for example. This is due to flash limitations of the older MCUs.

The GPS module is not the best you can get, but it is certainly affordable and should do the job adequately.

The PPM encoder looks good, because it can also do SBus. You won’t get far with PPM these days.
(Unless you go for something like a Cube Orange or a CUAV Pixhawk v6X, but for that money you could rather get a new radio that doesn’t have that limitation… but I digress)

I can’t say much about the telemetry module, other than that Holybro is usually a safe bet.

1 Like

Thank Jan, this is exactly the kind of advices I was needing.
I’ll go with the H743.
The only thing I can’t understand is if I need a STM32CubeProgrammer to flash arduplane. There is nothing except this note in both matek and arduplane documentation…

In any case, if there is any other advice on radios or GPS I’m here to listen and evaluate.

Thanks a lot!

This is required on all of these board level Flight Controllers as they come with either Betaflight or iNav. Most of the time the Cube programmer works and when it doesn’t there is an alternative procedure that always works. Don’t worry about it.

2 Likes

Order placed with the above but with the more powerful H743 Wing V3.
The project can start!

2 Likes