First Line in Mission File

Every .waypoints file I save in Mission Planner has a first line that doesn’t show up in the GUI when editing a mission. Even if I save a completely empty mission, I still get this line:

QGC WPL 110
0       1       0       16      0       0       0       0       33.240922       -96.935463      162.000000      1

The command (16) is a waypoint, but the coordinates seem to correspond to a location I set as the home in MP.

What does this line do and how does it affect a mission?

Ari.

Its your home location

Thank you, @iampete. Is it a special case for the first line in a file that it isn’t a waypoint to fly to but the home location? Would using 179 MAV_CMD_DO_SET_HOME achieve a similar result?

Ari.

Its just a AP thinig, that is where it stores the home-location. A DO_SET_HOME would change the value.

Thank you.

I’m still trying to understand the home location, and it’s surprising to me how confusing I find it.

I fly at a club field that’s 20 miles away from my house. When I try to plan a mission at home, MP tries to set the home location to my house, which is useless.

But when I go to the field, AP sets home to where I arm it, which is usually in the pits (“1” in the picture). This is also useless to me. Club rules prohibit flying West of the runway. I could arm at the runway just before I launch, but that wouldn’t help either: in RTL, half the airplane’s orbit would be on the West side of the runway over the pits–exactly the kind of safety issue the rules are tying to prevent. I want set home well East of the runway–where the airplane can loiter without disturbing other traffic (“2” in the picture).

Am I thinking about all this wrong?

Ari.

working-from-home

https://ardupilot.org/planner/docs/common-rally-points.html

So the recommendation is to forget about the home location and rely on rally point(s)?

Ari.

1 Like

yeah, exactly the sort of thing there for.

1 Like

Oh, that makes things simpler :=)

Thank you for setting me straight!

Ari.

1 Like