FIPS Compliance

I work (fly) off a company Dell rugged tablet which I do not have admin access. Recent Windows updates and Bitlocker encryption has prevented me from connecting to my Solo through the UDP connection in Mission Planner.
Is there any plan or will Mission Planner be FIPS 140-2 compliant? This is a requirement to use our current computers.

Thank you.

mission planner does not implement any encryption for the transfer of data, this encryption is handled by the OS or external device. as far as i know if fips is enabled in windows, mission planner would be using that windows compliance level

Thank you for your promote reply Mr. Oborne.
We are required to use Bitlocker and have FIPS 140-2 enabled and this is the message I get when trying to run the software:
Connection Failed:
Exception Details:
This implementation is not part of the Windows Platform FIPS validation cryptographic algorithms. at System.Security.Cryptography.SHA256Managed…ctor() at MissionPlanner.MAVLinkInterface.generatePacket(Int32 messageType, Object indata, Int32 sysid, Int32 compid, Boolean forcemavlink2, Boolean forcesigning) at MissionPlanner.MAVLinkInterface.OpenBg(IProgressReportDialogue PRsender, Boolean getparams) at MissionPlanner.Control.ProgressReporterDialogue.RunBackgroundOperation(Object o)

ok so MS don’t provide a sha265 implementation, which is used for mavlink message signing.
ill have a look at a change to make it work

ive just pushed a new beta version of MP, that i think will use a FIPS compliant sha256, but would need you to check it. as my pc does have this requirement

Thank you for working on this.
It appears the FIPS is affecting hashing also, so when I click to update to the beta version I get an error saying: Update Failed File downloaded does not match hash: Lib/encodings/raw_unicode_escape.py

is there a way I can get the beta as an msi or zip for my administrator to install?

grab this
https://github.com/ArduPilot/MissionPlanner/suites/1368313230/artifacts/22388739

Hi Michael. I get a 404 error when clicking on the GitHub link.

you might need a github account to download it

Michael,

It worked perfectly. Thank you very much, this will be huge for us.
Sorry about all the hassle and difficulty getting the beta and thank you again.

Geoff

Hi Michael,
I seem to have the same issue on my Windows 10 PC. Is the Mission Planner github build still available that you provided “gdebenedetto”? I would like to try it.
Thank you,
KT

same issue with 1.3.74. The link above appears to be dead (even when logged into github). I get “Failed to generate URL to download artifact.” Would it be possible to get another copy of this? Thanks.

please update to beta and report back?

just to confirm, this is the beta you are referring to. https://github.com/ArduPilot/MissionPlanner/releases/tag/beta?

is there a compiled beta version?

yes it is, you can grab precompiled versions from CI