Fighter VTOL 4+1 fixed wing

I have a PNP version ariving today. Aparently it has new optimised motors, custom built for this rig. I will post details when it arives.
From the videos, there looks to be a nice power distribution board and Cube carrier. I don’t beleave this is included in the PNP. No mention of it anywhere.

2 Likes

Did you get that from AliExpress, and if so, which seller? Everything I saw had outrageous shipping costs and as you might have seen in this thread a lot of people had trouble getting the parts shipped to them for the PNP version.

Hello, I also want to buy a fighter but I have not found a way to make the shipment cost me less than the plane, I am in Latin America, I thought I would buy the frame in bangood and bring it to my country by locker and then if I buy the rest accessories from China

1 Like

Hi,

Have to tried e-mailng Cheng Fang at 1641637133@qq.com
He can give you a quote for both the plane and shipping to your address in Latin America.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi, I am in the UK and bought it from a local distributor 3DRX.

1 Like

Thanks to a post by @GregCovey in a different thread, I learned Banggood sometimes carries this VTOL in their USA warehouse. I just ordered one myself. I think there are a few more.

Thanks to everyone who provided so much great information in this thread.

1 Like

Hello!
My name is Richi and I come from Austria… Iuckily I got the only mfe fighter from banggood Czeck warehouse! At the moment I build this bird. Thanks for all the information in this forum - it helped me a lot building the plane.
Here’s my solution for installing the esc for 6s setup.

2 Likes

That looks great, Richi!

Keep us posted on your build and welcome to the VTOL Plane forum!

2 Likes

Hi all, I have my airframe built now and settig up the Cube tomorrow. I note mention of MFE proviging a set of get you goung QPlane perramiters, are these the ones on Github? here
Has anybody flown this with 12s, 22,000mah setup?
MFE’s sugested max battery12s 22,000, some lump of battery and I am hesitent on trying it.
thanks

1 Like

Hi ACPUK,

Yes, that is the correct link to the parameters and they work with normal APM Plane releases.

Since your testing flights will likely be shorter, you could use a combination of a lower capacity 12s battery and some weight. I use a 6s 21AH battery and have never flown long enough to use the entire pack. I suspect a flight time approaching 30-40 minutes. The important part here is to maintain proper CofG balance.

Also, consider adding weight for your payload on the initial test flights. It is best is you can simulate the final flying weight during the testing phase.

Cheers!

1 Like

Thanks Greg, I will do. Getting exited now. Nearly ready.

Word of WARNING for ANY motor / bullet connectors.

Unfortunately, the PNP version’s motors come with the notorious leaf spring style bullet connectors.

I would NEVER recommend them to be used on ANY aircraft, they are a crash waiting to happen.

Fortunately, I was bench testing the system, when one of the VTOL motors started to appear to lose sync, untill, it finally stalled.

There is nothing wrong with the motor or the ESC. Looking at the bullet connector, from the ENHANCED, attached image, with the enhancement, you can see green corrosion at the top and bottom of the outer leaf spring, causing bad contact to the main body. These style connectors are notorious for this. It is clear what would have happened during VTOL flight. NEVER USE THEM.

With the well-fitting ESC supplies with the PNP, there is not need for connectors. Use them to get setup (motor direction) mark them off and solder the motors direct to the ESCs.

2 Likes

Interesting first trials today. Running on 12s, 22,000 giving an AUW of 8kg.
Q initial peramiters I downloaded caused crazy oscolations, twisting the wings considerably. Ended up almost halving all the PIDs in pitch. Hovers well and respincive.

Now, transitioning into forwards flight was ieresting. Got upto about 20ms when Q motors stopped. Then it instntly stalled in FBWA at 20ms, throttle responce was hindred, limated to 75% as per downloaded perams. Hit QLoiter and all good, save landing.
Some testing later, facing into 4ms wind found that 75% is not getting beond stall, need 85% to reach 21 to 22 ms.
I would say this motor / prop combo from the PNP Kit is well underpowered, when wind speeds hit 6ms needed 100% just to prevent stalling.
No idea what power the motor is, but it is a 120kv with a 20".

2 Likes

ACPUK,

I would check your Q_ASSIST_SPEED setting and make it just below your stall speed. The original setting was 12m/s. My lighter 6s setup uses 9m/s.

This is confusing to me. The original 12s forward flight motor was the 5015 210kv with a 20x13 prop. A motor with only 120kv will not spin fast enough.

1 Like

Hi Greg, I will double check the KV as I may have read the wrong packaging, there is nothing written on the motor. I suspect you are correct and the VTOL motors are 12kv, not the forwards thrust.
The Q_ASSIST_SPEED from the downloaded perams was 0 so setting it to 15 for now and I will test and gradualy reduce it as i am testing.
Experiments last night I found little power in the thrust below 1500ms and starts to kick in from 1700ms ish. As transitioning from mid stick “1500” from QLoiter to FBWA sets the thrust motor to 1500, I am thinkink i may set servo3-trim to beond 1500.

Now I am confused, looking at servo3-trim as I type, is it set to 1100!

I don’t think the SERVOx_TRIM matters as they get set during flight when SERVO_AUTO_TRIM is 1. My SERVO3_TRIM is set to1060.

The important parts are to calibrate the ESCs and calibrate the radio tx. to the flight controller using Mission Planner.

Good plan on setting Q_ASSIST_SPEED.

Is your prop a 20x13 ?

Yep radio and ESCs all calabrated correctly.
Just nipped to the workshop to check and the prop is not 20" at all, it is 18x12. The motor box is in another workshop, I will go down soon to check the KV.

Indeed Greg is it a 5015 210kv Prop is 18x12 which apperently is correct.

All the documentation calls for a cruise prop of 20x13. Where are you seeing the 18x12 prop other than what came in the PNP package?

1 Like

HI Greg, spoke to the supplyer and he confirmed 18x12 is correct and is what is now shipping with the PNP package. Feels under powered to me. 12s @ 32A max throttle, that is 1536 w. Ordered a 20x13 anyway as I feel a lack of power.

1 Like