Fighter VTOL 4+1 fixed wing

Sorry, we don’t have the English version yet.

No problem thanks. I ordered your camera foam as a starter.

What is your experience with belly laying cameras with no gimbal stabilization?

Do you have sample stitched photos of any Aerial photography . I am curious.

If you need to record video, you’d better have gimbal to increase stability.The main application in the mapping is to take photos, shutter 1/1000s, and the Angle of RLL and pitch is best within 3 degrees.You can apply for the trial version of PIX4D software, which is an easy-to-use image data processing software with powerful functions. The software has its own materials, which are convenient for you to test and use.

This is the typical mount for mapping. No gimbal, facing straight down, and simply secured by foam or a mount into the foam.

Ok I will give it try. I am assuming the pic stitching tools will compensate for any vibration or turbulence experienced during flight.

The MFE Fighter VTOL looks like the next step in tool-less assembly at the field and in providing glue-less breakdown for maintenance. The power system is designed for 12s LiPo (two 6s LiPos in series) with the benefits of the 4+1 design for single prop flying efficiency. It will make for interesting long-range survey comparisons.

1 Like

Greg, are you going to build a Fighter?

me gusta este diseño, esta excelente. señores de makeflyeasy podrian comunicarse conmigo…

2 Likes

12S battery…interesting. Who’s power system are they using? Mauch…

Hi guys,

Welcome to the APM VTOL Plane forum!

Hi Darryl,

I think so but I am still thinking about it. They removed the PNP version from AliExpress (not sure why) so I’m trying to determine if I want to use their power system components or my own. The Fighter is a larger model than the Freeman. It uses 20" props. One nice thing about the 4+1 configuration is that the pitch of the nose prop can be optimized for forward flight without degrading the hover performance. You also don’t need to find the CW and CCW versions of the prop. I like the low profile of the stock quad motors and props.With two 6s batteries in series, it should have an excellent flight duration.

Tomorrow, I plan on testing my Freeman VTOL for the first time. It seems ready to go so we will see soon.

> “I like this design, it is excellent. gentlemen of makeflyeasy could contact me”

Jhonatan,

You can e-mail Mr. Chang at makeflyeasy makeflyeasy@qq.com

Puede enviar un correo electrónico al Sr. Chang a makeflyeasy makeflyeasy makeflyeasy@qq.com

Asim,

That would be my guess too. It would also be my choice.

1 Like

Need more details on this plane. Would like to see the build manual.

MakeFlyEasy has one on their website, but it’s in Chinese.
http://doc.makeflyeasy.com/#/fighter

User manual for fighter

Thanks, Mr. Chang.

The v1.0 manual appears to be in both Chinese and English. It is meant for both the VTOL and non-VTOL versions. It is more of a parts list and configuration guide than a building guide. An experienced builder should not have a problem assembling this highly integrated design.

One thing I found interesting is that by combining the APM Automatic Takeoff feature with a parachute landing, you can start to get some of the benefits of VTOL. Although I am a VTOL enthusiast, I can see an opportunity for folks that want maximum flight efficiency and do not have a flat area to land. The pads on the bottom of the MFE designs also offer optional landings on a road as seen in the videos.

It appears that the PNP version was removed due to stricter customs rules from the pandemic. I’m not sure why motors or magnets are included in the new rules or how much longer the restrictions will last. They seem to be able to ship them separately, but not with the plane. You can see this in the Fighter aerial survey parts section.

The 12s power system is designed for lower current, better endurance in commercial use. It does, however, make the setup more costly for hobby use as it limits the number of manufacturers and vendors to choose from.

So far, the main places I see to order the parts are from AliExpress, Hobbywing, and Mauch. For just the motors, ESCs, and props, the estimated cost is around $1100 plus shipping. Other major components are a flight controller system, 12s Power Module, regulators, and batteries.

PNP Parts

Perhaps for shorter range hobby use, a 6s power system would be more cost effective. Just some food for thought…

3 Likes

Yes, you are right.The purpose of the Fighter design is mainly for aerial survey purpose, so the selection of accessories is mainly based on stability, efficiency and convenience for maintenance.

I don’t know why the express delivery company we cooperate with can’t transport the motor.I have asked a lot of express companies, but there is no news.

Fighter VTOL ESC 12s 40A is available now, but AliExpress has not been updated. The following link has a detailed introduction:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.5-c.w4002-9811154342.13.4f03c758MyJKjr&id=619067618717

1 Like

If we don’t pursue efficiency, we can use Fight VTOL 6S PNP configuration, front pull cruise motor 4125 KV420 propeller APC1612, vertical motor 5210 KV300 with 2070 propeller.(motor and propeller with familiar parameters are used)

1 Like

I like the form fit for the new 12s 40A ESC and the price is excellent! I agree that a 12s configuration is more efficient so it can support longer flights. A higher cost is not as much an issue for the commercial market as it is for the hobby market. The Fighter is properly designed for the commercial market. Thank you for the alternate 6s power system components.

It looks like MFE is expanding their vendor list to Banggood for the Fighter 4+1 VTOL Kit. It’s $599 with free ocean shipping or add another $11-$15 for Express or Priority mail.

Compare this to the Fighter 4+1 VTOL Kit at AliExpress for $535 plus $70 Priority shipping or $605. Very close in price but it is nice to now have several International vendors selling the product.

1 Like

I’ve decided to build the Fighter 4+1 VTOL kit. It will use a 6s power system for hobby use instead of the 12s commercial power system. The 4+1 QuadPlane design has always been my favorite performer in wind and has nice safety features built into APM like Q_VFWD_GAIN and Q_ASSIST_SPEED. No servos in the quad power chain.

My 6s power system is also chosen for lower cost for hobby use and for leveraging a lighter flying weight. By reducing the battery weight, it will shorten my flight times but still allow for a reasonable 600g load.

If we work backwards from the 10kg (22lbs) flying weight when using s 12s 16AH LiPo configuration that weighs 4kg (8.8lbs), we can reduce the battery weight by half (or more) by using a 6s pack.

Some Typical LiPo Pack Weights:

• 12s 16AH is 4kg (8.8lbs)
  • 6s 16AH is 2kg (4.4lbs)
  • 6s 12AH is 1.6kg (3.5lbs)
  • 6s 10AH is 1.2kg (2.6lbs)

So I can reduce my flying weight from 10kg by 4kg or more. This allows for a much less expensive and less powerful quad motor system.

I have selected the Tarot 5008 340kv motor which is currently only $37/ea. at FoxTechFPV. By using their 18x5.5 MARKII Matte Carbon Fiber Propellers at $15/set and the Hobbywing XRotor 40A ESCs at $12.50/ea., you can get the entire quad power system shipped via DHL for about $255.

Full throttle on this quad power system will draw 20amps per motor and provide 3kg thrust per motor for a total of 12kg thrust on my 6kg Fighter. This allows for plenty of headroom and will keep the ESCs cool inside the motor mount boxes.

I’ll start posting building photos when my model arrives…

********************** New Post ***********************

The pricing seems to have changed in only 6 weeks at these stores. I don’t have an explanation for it.

AliExpress: Fighter VTOL kit is now $619 plus $183 for Standard Shipping to New York or $382 via EMS.

Banggood: Fighter VTOL kit is $599 plus $0.54 for USPS Shipping to New York or $12 via Priority Mail. The “Ocean Shipping” option appears to be gone.

That’s about a $200 difference in favor of Banggood. They are not yet in stock, but it might be worth the wait.

My quad power system arrived from FoxTechFPV via DHL in about a week. I’m still waiting for the Fighter VTOL kit from AliExpress.

I was happy with the quality of the Tarot motors and 18" carbon t-style props. I have used the Hobbywing XRotor ESCs before and they work great! They should fit fine inside the motor mount boxes and stay reasonably cool with around a 10amp hover current.

My forward flight power system is comprised of parts from previous projects. The AXI 4120/18 (515kv) motor will use an APC 15x8 e-prop. I also had an older Turnigy AE-100A ESC available which was a re-labeled HobbyWing ESC. It will be overkill for the 1500 watt capable power system as the Fighter will only be using partial throttle for cruising around while mapping.

2 Likes