Fight Mode 4 & Channel 7/RTL Issue

Trying to Sort a FM conflict.
I’ve programmed MP Channel 7 for RTL on separate Radio Switch (not under CH 5 and the 6 FM’s)
However: When RTL Switch is triggered FM4 is activated. No matter what FM is set in FM4.
I disabled all FS’s thinking there maybe a link there, but the outcome is the same.
The only way I’ve been successful in creating Channel 7 /RTL in all FM’s is to program CH4 as RTL also.

As anyone else seen this connection before?

Thanks for any insights you may have,
SC

Channel 5
FM1 STAB
FM2 ALTHLD
FM3 Loiter
FM4 RTL
FM5 AUTO
FM6 CIRCLE

Channel 6 (none)
Channel 7 RTL
Channel 8 Super Simple
PH 2.4.5 clone
AC 3.2
TaranisTX x8rRX

If I’m not wrong CH7 function has the precedence over any other flight modes you are in the moment you trigger it.

So if you are flying in acro and flip the CH7 switch it will go in RTL no matter fi you are in acro or stab.

The fact that Mission planner shows the Flight Mode 4 lighting up is weird and eventually will try to reproduce.

Emile

You are correct; and I’ve verified CH7 is overriding ALL other FM’s when triggered.

I look forward to your followup when you have time.
SC

[quote=“emile”]If I’m not wrong CH7 function has the precedence over any other flight modes you are in the moment you trigger it.

So if you are flying in acro and flip the CH7 switch it will go in RTL no matter fi you are in acro or stab.

The fact that Mission planner shows the Flight Mode 4 lighting up is weird and eventually will try to reproduce.

Emile[/quote]

yes I have experienced the same behavior.
But in fact this does not matter.
Ch7/8 override Ch5 for RTL. When you switch back, Ch5 will be in the original flight mode again.

You are correct when switching back all is as programmed. Not sure I completely follow though.

If I trigger CH7/8/RTL, and FM4 is programmed for AUTO (or whatever MODE is programmed at FM4 ) then AUTO shows up on MP as the Current MODE. This effects all FM’s 1 through 6.
Since I discovered this I’ve only flown with CH7/8 and CH4 both as RTL. It way it performs fine relative to the other FM’s.

Perhaps I can program a different FM on CH4 and actually flight test to “see what develops.” lol

[quote=“mtbsteve”]yes I have experienced the same behavior.
But in fact this does not matter.
Ch7/8 override Ch5 for RTL. When you switch back, Ch5 will be in the original flight mode again.[/quote]

My work around for RTL to overwrite all modes requires programming RTL on Channel 7/8 plus programming RTL on FlightMode 4.

AUTOTUNE (Not Possible): My previous work around is not possible because AutoTune is only an option on Channel7/8… And not as a Flight Mode.

It would be great to determine if this is only my issue or a possible 3.2 issue.

Thanks,SC

[quote=“FullScalePilot2”]Trying to Sort a FM conflict.
I’ve programmed MP Channel 7 for RTL on separate Radio Switch (not under CH 5 and the 6 FM’s)
However: When RTL Switch is triggered FM4 is activated. No matter what FM is set in FM4.
I disabled all FS’s thinking there maybe a link there, but the outcome is the same.
The only way I’ve been successful in creating Channel 7 /RTL in all FM’s is to program CH4 as RTL also.

As anyone else seen this connection before?

Thanks for any insights you may have,
SC

Channel 5
FM1 STAB
FM2 ALTHLD
FM3 Loiter
FM4 RTL
FM5 AUTO
FM6 CIRCLE

Channel 6 (none)
Channel 7 RTL
Channel 8 Super Simple
PH 2.4.5 clone
AC 3.2
TaranisTX x8rRX[/quote]

After much searching and testing I found no explanation for the apparent connection between Flight Mode 4 and Channel 7. But I did find success with Auto Tune and as I mentioned, the work around for RTL.

AUTO TUNE: Perhaps it’s a coincidence, but I have noticed Randy Mackay, et al choosing Flight Mode 4 set to Alt Hold when preparing to Auto Tune. So I did the same and had no problems completing Auto Tune.

SC

Not a coincidence, the AutoTune procedure requires you to put the vehicle in AltHold prior to starting AutoTune

copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/autotune/

Cheers,

Adrian

Thanks for your comment. Perhaps there is something lost in translation.
I was aware Alt Hold is required to trigger Auto Tune.
However, I found no instruction that Flight Mode 4 is the only MODE to program Alt Hold.

Best, SC

[quote=“around”]Not a coincidence, the AutoTune procedure requires you to put the vehicle in AltHold prior to starting AutoTune

copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/autotune/

Cheers,

Adrian[/quote]