Fence question

I am running Arducopter 3.2 on an APM 2.6.

I have read the documentation and searched this forum but I am still unsure of the action of the ‘Fence’ command.

if I set the fence to altitude only, the height to 122 meters (400 foot), the action to Report only and the Fence_Margin to 1 meter does this mean that the quad will stop at an altitude of 121 meters and go no higher in all flight modes or will it just give me a warning on the OSD that I have breached the fence?

I want to ensure that I keep below the allowed altitude here in the UK.

copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/config … _geofence/
copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/config … fence_type

If it is report only the GCS will indicate the fence is breach, but nothing will happen. i.e. it Reports, no action

The wiki should be updated to clear that up

Thanks for the clarification.

I do not seem to be able to find any other parameters that would limit the maximum altitude of the quad.

[quote=“liger1956”]I am running Arducopter 3.2 on an APM 2.6.

I have read the documentation and searched this forum but I am still unsure of the action of the ‘Fence’ command.

if I set the fence to altitude only, the height to 122 meters (400 foot), the action to Report only and the Fence_Margin to 1 meter does this mean that the quad will stop at an altitude of 121 meters and go no higher in all flight modes or will it just give me a warning on the OSD that I have breached the fence?

I want to ensure that I keep below the allowed altitude here in the UK.[/quote]

Might need to do some reading bud, there is no 400 foot limit here in the UK (unless your quad is 7kg or heavier).

You can go as high as you like as long as you can still clearly see the quad, and same for horizontal too. If you are flying with FPV goggles then you are capped at 1000 foot but your spotter still needs to be able to clearly see the quad.
And for reference, on a nice day you can see a TBS Discovery at just over 1000 foot up in the air :wink:
youtube.com/watch?v=pa2_f3nIE5Q

[quote=“liger1956”]Thanks for the clarification.

I do not seem to be able to find any other parameters that would limit the maximum altitude of the quad.[/quote]

If you set the type to RTL or LAND it will switch to that mode on fence breach limiting the alt. There are no other limits that can be set. Why isn’t that good enough?

There was mention of a change to the fence altitude limit where it would stop at the set height and not let you go any higher but still be able to fly around.

Not sure what came of it.

MarkM,

Whilst I am well aware of the ORS4 No 1108 which gives an fpv exemption from article 166(3) if I fly the quad los (without fpv) then summary point 2 of this caa.co.uk/default.aspx?cati … geid=16012 CAA document states that for aircraft of a mass of 20kg or less flights at an altitude over 400 foot above the pilot must have CAA approval to be legal.

Hence my request on how to limit the maximum altitude. I can then change the parameter to suit the quad being flown as not all of mine have fpv capability.

[quote=“billbonney”]
If you set the type to RTL or LAND it will switch to that mode on fence breach limiting the alt. There are no other limits that can be set. Why isn’t that good enough?[/quote]

I would just like the quad to hit a ‘glass ceiling’ and not immediately land or RTL so that I do not fly too high when flying line of sight without goggles or any ground station.

[quote=“liger1956”]MarkM,

Whilst I am well aware of the ORS4 No 1108 which gives an fpv exemption from article 166(3) if I fly the quad los (without fpv) then summary point 2 of this caa.co.uk/default.aspx?cati … geid=16012 CAA document states that for aircraft of a mass of 20kg or less flights at an altitude over 400 foot above the pilot must have CAA approval to be legal.

Hence my request on how to limit the maximum altitude. I can then change the parameter to suit the quad being flown as not all of mine have fpv capability.[/quote]

If you read that summary you linked to carefully you will see it says -

“Normally taken”, is NOT an enforced rule. Think about this, if line of sight limits everyone to 400 foot, why would they grant an exemption allowing you to go up to 1000 foot when it still has to remain line of sight for your spotter.

If you read the actual Air Navigation Order CAP393 Part 19 sections 137 & 138, Part 22 sections 166 & 167 you will see that there is NO limit imposed on UAV’s under 7kg. (section 166, part 3)

If there was a 400 foot limit for all UAV’s why do they specifically mention it as an extra limitation for ?7kg UAV’s (section 166, part 4, paragraph c)

Also, the BMFA recognises that only models >7kg are capped at 400 ft