Feature request: Add support for Retract Mount in Arduplane

As the title says, right now, the RCx_Option 27 doesn’t work on Plane.

It is a little bit strange because the command to retract the gimbal works and the gimbal aims to the designated retract position, but because the RCx_Option isn’t supported, the servos never activate. Right now, I’m using the landing gear function to perform this function, but it would be useful to keep those actions separated and keep it in line with Copter. Example of what I’m working on:

Also, I wanted to ask, how is the logic for the retract function? Does it wait until the gimbal is in the retract position to activate the servo output? Or are both things performed at the same time?

Thank you!

According to the parameter wiki RCx_OPTION,27 is in plane.

https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/parameters.html#rc7-option-rc-input-option

Maybe I have something wrong but here how I tested it. I use a Matek H743 Wing with 2 90º servos connected to servo 6 and 7 output. This was tested in Plane 4.4.3.

I have the following parameters:

• SERVO6_FUNCTION = 9 (Mount 1 retract)
  • SERVO7_FUNCTION = 9 (Mount 1 retract)
  • RC7_OPTION = 27 (Retract Mount 1)

I connect the battery and I activate a Joystick with the RC 7 channel configured and I see the bar change. However, nothing happens. I also tried to use the command in Set Mount to “Retracted” in the actions tab and nothing. Tried to use Retract Mount 1 option in “Aux Function” tab and doesn’t work as well.

But if I use the following options, the servos move if I use my joystick or if I use the command in “Aux Function” tab:

• SERVO6_FUNCTION = 29 (Landing Gear)
  • SERVO7_FUNCTION = 29 (Landing Gear)
  • RC7_OPTION = 29 (Landing Gear)

This makes me believe that the RCx_Option table I shared is right. Maybe the values in the page you shared are copied from Copter and thus wrong or maybe the I’m doing something wrong.

Did you set MNT1_TYPE,1?

https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/common-mount-targeting.html#gimbal-mount-controls

https://ardupilot.org/plane/docs/common-camera-gimbal.html

I have MNT1_TYPE = 4 because I use a Storm32 Gimbal

Then maybe try setting up retraction on MNT2 if you’re already using MNT1 for the gimbal itself. I’ve never used one of those setups but it might do it. You’d have to adjust the servo and RC settings to reflect MNT2.

There isn’t a RCx_Option for “Mount 2 Retract”. There is at least the option to select “Mount 2 Retract” in SERVOx_Function. But because there isn’t any RCx_Option, I can’t activate it. Not even using the menus. I think every type of gimbal should have the ability to use servos to retract. I think what is happening is that RCx_Option “Mount 1 Retract” only works if you use servo gimbal (MNT1_TYPE = 1). It would be perfect if this functionality was included for all the other gimbal types as well.

1 Like

Mnt2 might be just in Copter. That’s my bad.

Well, last idea I have is to use RC passthrough for the gimbal retraction and that will leave the landing gear function for landing gear.

Thats why I created this feature request. It would be very usefull to expand the Mount Retract to all types of gimbals and not only be limited to servo gimbals.

Hey @rmackay9, what do you think about this? I have seen that you have worked with the gimbals.

@Iker_Martinez,

I’m afraid that the Retract Mount feature only works for the servo mount driver. I’ve created an issue here to extend the feature to all drivers. I’ve also added it to our list of gimbal enhancements.

It’s a long standing issue and it’s not really very hard to fix but I can’t immediately promise when we will get to it because of the number of 4.5 issues that we’re still working through.

Don’t worry! I can work with Landing Function at the moment. It is just suggestion for improvement