Faulty Hobbywing XRotor 40A-OPTO ESC

One of my Hobbywing XRotor 40A-OPTO ESC is faulty, its not rotating motor at same speed of other motors with same throttle input?
I checked with different motor, so I confirm that it’s not motor issue.
How can I repair it?
Please visit video, see circled motor is rotating slower than other motors.

Did you tried to calibrate it ?

Yes, when I directly connect to throttle channel then it works fine, looks like its tooo sensitive to signal at start.

I hope that faulty esc is not a cause
Today again my hexacopter crashed that too from height

Flight Controller: PIXHAWK PX4 2.4.7
Firmware version Copter 4.0.5
Transmitter: “FrSky Taranis Q X7 ACCESS 2.4GHz 24CH Mode2 Transmitter with R9M 2019”
ESC: Hobbywing XRotor 40A-OPTO ESC
Motors: Tarot 4108 High Power Brushless Motor (380kv)
Battery:6S.
Frame:Tarot 680Pro

Log:

Can anybody have look at log and help me what was wrong.

Faulty ESC can also be the reason of your crash

That ESCs have a DEO-setting, On or off?

Not sure, will check it

1 Like

Can expert help me to analyze cause of crash, below is log file of crash?

You’ve got motor imbalance like motor mount twist causing a yaw bias - CW motors are fighting with CCW motors.

You current monitoring is wrong - there’s no way this is only drawing under 1amp - see if you can fix that. Voltage and current are extremely important to monitor.

Set ATC_INPUT_TC,0.2 for a bit smoother RC input
Set all these while testing:
BATT_FS_CRT_ACT,1
BATT_FS_LOW_ACT,2
FENCE_ACTION,3
FENCE_ALT_MAX,50
FENCE_ENABLE,1
FENCE_RADIUS,100
FENCE_TYPE,3
And when you’re done with testing and tuning you can increase the fence radius and altitude, but I recommend leaving the fence enabled. It will prevent take off until there’s a good enough GPS fix to set home position.

Then lets see the next .bin log with these changes plus the changes you’ve made from other posts.

Also a word of warning since your battery voltage appears so low (possibly a calibration issue)
Dont be tempted to change the battery voltage settings in order to arm and take off - fix the battery voltage measurement issue or replace the battery.

EDIT: I read where you might have a failed cell and set 5S settings. I’m not sure I’d trust a battery with a failed cell, the same could happen to another cell.
These ones for 5S:
BATT_ARM_VOLT,18.4
BATT_CRT_VOLT,17.5
BATT_LOW_VOLT,18
MOT_BAT_VOLT_MAX,21
MOT_BAT_VOLT_MIN,16.5

@ xfacta Tons of thanks, let me do whatever you said and in addition will study and try it, will update if i need any help.

We have over 20 of that ESC and we disabled DEO on all of them. I dont remember exactly why, but it may have been because we use heavylifters/VTOL and not small multicopters that can use the breaking function in DEO that we dont need and that we read that the motors can start stuttering.

1 Like