Fastest rate (or lowest latency) for sending message SET_POSITION_TARGET_LOCAL_NED to a drone

I would like to control my drone with a fast response time. What is the lowest latency I can expect from sending MAVLINK_MSG_ID_SET_POSITION_TARGET_LOCAL_NED to my drone?

i.e. what is the latency between sending this message to tell the drone where to fly, and it actually affecting the motors?

Also, if anyone knows how fast I can send this message that would be amazing to hear too. All of this relates to using a companion computer attached by wire, not a radio telemetry link.

Thanks a lot.

You need to first tune the copter PIDs followed by a tune of the dynamic notch filters followed by an autotune in no wind or a carefully done manual tune.
After all that, I guess 10Hz is doable. Beyond that frequency, it is just a waist. But it really depends on the inertia and thrust of your copter. Small overpowered copters are faster than big and under-powered copters. So there is not a simple direct exact answer to your un-precise, un-detailed question.

1 Like

Hi, that’s a really helpful answer, thanks.

I will do the steps you mentioned and attempt to set velocity setpoints at 10Hz.