Failsafe Implementation w/ Turnigy 9X

Having difficulty setting up the FailSafe. Have completed the following steps with results in bold:

1B. Turn your transmitter on and set the throttle range to extend below -100%. (Set the low throttle range below its low threshold.) Cannot find any setting like this in the 9X. Did set the Throttle E. Point to 120% / 100%. This seems to have brought the low throttle PWM down to 981.

2A. After completing calibration, move the throttle stick all the way to the bottom and (Record the Throttle PWM value). This value is 981.

2B. Turn the transmitter off: The displayed PWM value should drop significantly. (Record this Throttle PWM value too). This value is still 981.

When I switch on the TX, the value then jumps to mid scale (motors spool up) then falls back to 981 (motors off).

Not clear on how to trigger a below-idle PWM to trigger the failsafe state. If I set the FS_THR_VALUE parameter to 990, the motors will not arm.

Hopefully someone can explain what’s going on here. Thanks very much.

The original Turnigy reciever 9X8C v2 has no internal storeable failsafe setting, The reciever will just keep outputting last valid commands.
To get failsafe you need to upgrade your 9x transmitter and reciever, for instance with FrSky for example.
If you have newer reciever than v2 then what I’m saying may not neccessarily apply, my Turnigy stuff is a year and half old.

OK, thanks.
The 9X is fairly new; how can I check for V2 or newer? Nothing on the 9X screen.

But if the Ardu looses the transmitter signal, that should trigger the failsafe state, no?

In my case, the Ardu just keeps on motoring.

Thanks, cheers . . . .

I pulled the “v2” info from the label of my Turnigy 9X8C reciever.

I have no idea how it is even possible to detect a failing RC signal without changing to another brand.

It would seem dangerous to implement a fail-safe detection in Arducopter code working on the principle:
“Have I recieved the exact same commands for 3 sec’s straight (in acro or stabilize mode) then something is wrong, FAILSAFE MODE ON!”

[quote=“Paxmax”] …
I have no idea how it is even possible to detect a failing RC signal without changing to another brand.
… [/quote]
This is great news and renders the Turnigy 9X virtually useless for anyone interested in safe flying. Solid FailSafe operation should be Job1 for any Transmitter/UAV combination.

In the 9X there is a FailSafe option, the instructions for which are utter gibberish. As it turns out that option only applies to PCM - WTF??!! Cheap is good but not at the expense of safety and neighbourly flying.

It seems to me that FailSafe Operation, at least for Tx Failure and GPS failure, should be hardwired into the APM (transmitter independent) with little option for the user to screw it up. “The default setting is OFF” is a serious design error. Telling the APM to detect a radio reception failure or GPS error and triggering a FailSafe response should be pretty simple in the grand scheme of things. The only user options would be RTL or LAND.

This area really needs work, cheers . . . .

Well, not exactly useless, you use the 9x as a cheap way to access modular set of sticks and switches. Then you buy and insert the new set of reciever and transmitter you need/want. For instance you might want to have telemetry -boom, FrSky sells a kit with a transmitter module and reciever telemetry capable -just plug it into the 9X.
That’s how I solved the failsafe issue, FrSky modules -although I did not fork out cash for telemetry.
Yes, it does make the transmitter more expensive…

… but if you have a prototype project with a high chance of crashing just from a very new flying experience -res-use the cheapish turnigy stuff for that prototype project and use your “finer” equipment in tried and true models.

Also the turnigy tx/rx hasn’t got the best range (300-500m) to begin with, updating the TX/Rx will also increase your range, increase safety and generally (theoretically) make flying much smoother.
I’m still such a noob on flying though I couldn’t tell yet, and my first quad was seriously over weight.

Although I have 30 yrs experience running nitro and electric offroaders on AM, moving to 2.4GHz was definetly a step up in stability, moving to futaba fasst with fast servo also a step up. maybe smaller models will show and tell difference in reaction time with flying on Turnigy Tx/Rx VS for example FrSky Tx/Rx

“Well, not exactly useless, you use the 9x as a cheap way to access modular set of sticks and switches. Then you buy and insert the new set of reciever and transmitter you need/want.”

Thanks for that info. I had no idea that upgrades were available. Is FrSky the only choice?

I still think that a Tx/Rx that does not provide FailSafe out of the box is inviting disaster. Getting the FAA to budge on commercial sUAS won’t be helped by a big membership in the Fly-Away club, especially with injuries/damage. I"m learning fast that even the small multicopters can quickly turn dangerous.

The hobby drone business seems to be high on choice but low on education. If self discipline fails, big Bro will fix it for everybody with harsh rules and less freedom.

Thanks, cheers . . . .

“Let me google that for you…”

Hehe!

Basics is that the module slot/size/pinout is of the type manufacturer JR/Spektrum uses.

Not all JR compatible modules fit perfectly, not even FrSky, sometimes a few people report a smallish collision between the pin header in 9X and the module plastic housing. It’s easily solved with a screwdriver and small blade.
I didn’t have that issue though.

You can also switch to other frequency, doesn’t have to be a 2.4GHz Tx/Rx module either, all depending on your needs.
As for other brands I have not searched much, I read so many people liking the FrSky I settled for it pretty soon.
But known brands making modules for this is JR (ofcoz), Orange, Assan, FlySky, FrSky.
There are probably more out there… as long as they say they are JR/Spektrum compatible it’s likely it will work fine.

One thing to know though, when you remove Turnigy Tx module you will have to snip antenna wire or desolder it since Turnigy uses module bay for the Tx but use the fixed antenna mount on radio.
If you go with snip method, atleast unscrew the cover for module and snip wire near the board so you can re-use it later on.
When you buy a module you will sometimes have a choice, to buy a
1.) module WITH antenna fixed on module (easiest, but more costly?) or…
2.) Have a system like Turnigy (two part tx + antenna) or…
3.) Internal shrink tube’d board inside(!) radio housing and re-use the radio’s antenna slot… leaving the module bay empty.

Decisions decisions :wink:
Yeah, I definetly agree what you said about Turnigy original lacking FS, true that, had a harrowing experience with a friend and his copter… it just… sailed away! …over forrested area …heading for town!
With a bit of running he managed to re-gain control though. It was a lesson learned @ 180 (heart) bpm -watch out for cell-phone towers :laughing: even if nature is the view that we where trying to capture was distractingly cool.
It was fine in the beginning, doing a range check and all… but with increase in altitude I’m guessing it got caught in towers Tx beam, totally overpowering copter’s Rx.

OK, thanks, I’ll check out those options. Didn’t expect the 9X would need an immediate upgrade just to be safe.

This whole hobby drone business is pretty sketchy - poor standards, poor documentation, poor information. But it’s cheap! The price seems to be safety and wasted time trying to figure it all out.

I’ve probably spent 10X more time researching than flying.

Cheers . . . .

Not all of what is in the topic is exactly 100% accurate.

The 9x actually does support failsafe, but you have to have a receiver that also supports it.

The “stock” 3 (or 4?) channel Flysky receivers do support failsafe, but I know my 6 and 8 channel receivers do not.

There might be newer versions of the “stock” receivers that support failsafe, or maybe a Turnigy re-branded one might. You’ll have to google it. But there is hope… the transmitter and module itself does actually support fail safe.

So I got curious if there were new receivers and googled for it.

I found that in theory, fail safe works on the 9x in PCM mode on the 8 channel rx.

Whether or not that is usable… Good luck.
But it’s supposed to work, and it’s “free”. lol

Came to this thread months ago and was a bit dissapointed with the 9x, however I later found out that it can trigger failsafe on the APM, in fact, there is a blog post on it.

diydrones.com/forum/topics/how-t … y-9x-stock

one of the comments

[quote]Stock Turnigy 9X with the stock 9X8Cv2 receiver has got a configurable failsafe for signal loss.
-Set the transmitter to PPM in SYSTEM SETTINGS->MODEUAT/MODULATION->PPM
-Set FUNC SETTING->E.POINT->THROTTLE to 120%/120% (This changes the maximum throw up&down. protip: move throttle stick to change value for up/down…)
-Set FUNC SETTING->SUBTRIM->THROTTLE to -120 (sets the midpoint lower, so that the failsafe value goes to less than 1000
-Set FUNC SETTING->FAIL SAF->THR->F/S 000% (This sets the failsafe (tranmitter off) value to 0%, which goes -to <1000 since we changed the midpoint/endpoints.
-Adjust your throttle trim and APM/multiwii/etc. failsafe thresholds so that the failsafe signal value is lower & failsafe is correctly activated in your autopilot. Poke, Test, poke and test. Don’t rely on the default values![/quote]

it does work!!!

Actually there is failsafe functionality available without upgrading the module to something else. The receiver is the culprit, and if you require all 8 channels then you are out of luck.

If you can get by with 6 channels, then purchase a hobbyking 6ch rx V2 and you will find that on loss of signal, the rx centres all channels except ch3, which drops below 100% and will trigger the throttle failsafe.

[quote=“jimi984”]Actually there is failsafe functionality available without upgrading the module to something else. The receiver is the culprit, and if you require all 8 channels then you are out of luck.

If you can get by with 6 channels, then purchase a hobbyking 6ch rx V2 and you will find that on loss of signal, the rx centres all channels except ch3, which drops below 100% and will trigger the throttle failsafe.[/quote]

you are not out of luck… as i said before, stock 8ch receiver supports the APM failsafe

Good to know RAH. Can you tell me if it is configurable using open 9x or the newer opentx firmware? I’ve not attempted since my menus are all now different to the original.

try connecting to MP and in radio calibration cheking when you turn of the radio throttle falls to about 901, if this doesnt work try updating the ppm controller. Otherwise Im not really shure…

After PPM controller firmware update, the 8ch turnigy RX will trigger the APM failsafe fine.

Just to clarify - I couldn’t get anything remotely resembling a failsafe to work with the 8ch stock rx until updating the firmware for the PPM controller on the APM board. Now it drops to 900 on loss of Tx - just how it should!

I’m not sure why the APM needed an update to the PPM controller for the 8ch turnigy rx, but it wasn’t necessary with the HK 6ch V2 rx. :question: If anyone has the answer I’m curious!

Cheers RAH101.

I bought a Turnigy 9x with the 8ch receiver and failsafe never worked when I was using cheap chinese clone APM’s but as soon as I installed the genuine 3DRobotics APM 2.6 the failsafe worked and I didn’t change anything on the radio. Just switched from one APM to the other.

So I believe if you’re not using a 3DRobotics APM it won’t work.

i see that no one made a deep analysis of the problem.

the turnigy 9x v2 continues to output pwm only on channels 4 and 5, as shown in this youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6lVYA7z9NE

all the other channels stop the pwm output as soon as you power off the radio.

this means that if you unplug from apm the receiver channel 4 and 5, the apm will correctly detects the failsafe.

BUT you need at least 5 channels to let the multicopter work as expected (changing flight mode).

and unfortunately there is no way on the turnigy radio to reassign channels and let channel 4 become channel 7 or 8.

SO FINALLY THIS IS A APM BUG.
Infact APM code should be more robust, and understand that if you loose at least THROTTLE and one of the other 3 important commands, then it should declare FAILSAFE.

I’ve seen the APM code, and actually i’m not sure if this is a bug in the APM or in the PPM encoder.

this is the discussion that i opened, where i’m waiting for some of the developer to post an answer.
http://ardupilot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=100&t=10167
actually i’m still looking for a workaround, the reason can not be “buy another receiver”.

UPDATE: problem solved. to find the solution look at my previously linked discussion on this forum.

you don’t need to buy another radio in order to use the failsafe functioality on apm. you just can use your turnigy 9x v2 my proper flash the apm board.

regards