Failed to complete takeoff, excessive wind

Hello,

Our VTOL is keep coming back down when we initiate auto flight with message ‘Failed to complete takeoff, excessive wind’. Before takeoff, we did preflight calibration but found the airspeed is jumping around between 0 to 5.

Could it be an issue in the arspd sensor?

Parameter

Log file

There is a large variation in the airspeed sensor.
Since TKOFF_ARSP_LIM is set to 8, if the measured airspeed reaches a level higher than that, takeoff is aborted and the aircraft enters landing mode. Your log indicates that the wind speed is above 10 meters. If obviously the airspeed sensor readings differ from the actual wind speed, setting TKOFF_ARSP_LIM to 0 will remove the wind speed limitation during takeoff.

In general, variation of the airspeed sensor reading is greater at low speeds, but your readings seem to be too varied. You may want to consider replacing the differential pressure sensor.

Or is your pitot tube installed in a location where it is affected by the rotor wind? I would like to see the airspeed when the aircraft is on the ground and the rotors are not moving.

1 Like

Thanks hatnac for your advice.

It happened with a original airspeed sensor so we replaced it with our CUAV airspeed sensor but the result was not far different.

Yes, the wind might have been different from how we felt on that day. We usually fly our drones around island.

Pitot tube is located at the front tip of airplane and I don’t think vtol rotors could be affecting the sensor.

The VTOL is not with us at the moment and I will update process later when we fly the drone again.